gooner gooner
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/6/2004 22:59
Help #1
At the risk of sounding completely daft lol. I have just set up my first tank and was wondering if its ok to have black moors and goldfish in together
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 0:13
Re: Help #2
Hello gooner and welcome You don't sound daft at all it is better to ask if unsure rather than make costly mistakes, by goldfish which do you mean regular/common goldfish the type normally won at the fair or fancy goldfish like fantails, orandas and such, I would say you where better keeping fancies/round bodied fish together with black moors and regular and shubunkins together as I learned from personal experience, I have found as they get larger and come into spawning/breeding age the common goldfish can mistake the round fancies as female and harrass them which they find hard to cope with Also as you have just set up your tank "I take it you have no fish yet" then do you know about how to cycle a tank at all if not take a look at this post to help you along. http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... opic_id=71&forum=1&jump=1 .
gooner gooner
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 12:44
Re: Help #3
Thanks for your help goldy
We had already put a few fish in the tank the blackmoor and a few normal goldfish and a couple of shubunkins but the blackmoor attacked the goldfish but hasnt touched the shubunkins hence my asking for help, since posting the original post last night we have removed the goldfish from the tank
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 14:06
Re: Help #4
Thats strange I always think of black moors as gentle fish, never heard of one attacking a regular goldfish before.
gooner gooner
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 14:18
Re: Help #5
its been quite content since we took the goldfish out and just left it in there with the shubunkins.
Someone on my msn suggested that there may have been something wrong with the goldfish whats your opinion on that?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 14:25
Re: Help #6
Its possible, sometimes fish will chase away the weaker or sick fish so the stronger survive, other times its spawning behaviour but I take it yours are only babies right now.