Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/4/2008 15:41
Firebelly newt - not in the water #1
hi everyone

i have a firebelly newt in a 10L tankand he never seems to go in the water, hes always on his piece of floating bark

whats wrong with him? i clean the water and the tank has substrate, plants, a castle and a filter but he doesnt want to go in the water

any ideas?

thanks

Steve
===========
Original Image

Whilst nursing the worlds biggest hangover

===========
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/4/2008 15:47
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #2
Does he know how to swim? Just kidding

Do you have any water readings, I guess the temp is the most important thing for amphibians?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/4/2008 16:16
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #3
its probably because he doesnt want to go in the water. newts just like being damp, not necesarily in water. newts dont actually 'live' in the water, just near it, part water and a part land would be better than a floating thing in the water.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 14:50
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #4
like draining the tank down and putting most of the substrate to one side to make a sort of beach area?

would it still need to be filtered?
===========
Original Image

===========
Waterbiscuit Waterbiscuit
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 14:52
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #5
Hmm, this worries me a bit now - our 2 firebelly newts spend literally all their time in the water. There is a large piece of cork for them which is very easy for them to get onto, but they just don't. Should I worry that ours stay in the water permanently?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 16:22
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #6
personally if i were to keep newts, i would have either a half and half tank, with a divider so i could have water in one part, and land on the other, just moving the substrate wont stay, needs somthing to keep it on the side, or a shallow pool with ramps and ledges around the side, so they can get up and out the water.
yes the water need to be filtered as the newts skin is delicate and would taske the damage in unfiltered water.

and no, i wouldnt worry about them spending all there time in the water either, thats obviousley where they want to spend there time, if they wanted to be out more often they would be.

but betteer to offer them a better way of doing both easily, they would have land and not just something floating in the wild.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 16:26
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #7
hmm, well most of the caresheets ive seen say that they are mainly aquatic so i dont know what he should be doing

tempted to take him back to the aquatics store if im not providing an adequate habitat :(
===========
Original Image

===========
Waterbiscuit Waterbiscuit
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 19:38
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #8
Ahh, slightly less worried (btw, the cork is wedged in the tank - not floating, so easy to climb out on)

Still on the newts, but a different problem - they have been handfeeding really well, and last fed about 4 days ago (they each had a prawn). Tonight, 1 fed as normal and snatched the food, but the other completely backed into a corner and legged it off looking terrified. Can't understand it - he is normally really good at handfeeding.

He is looking quite fat around the middle, which I just put down to being full up after the last feed, but maybe it is something else?

Wild Foamy - I do know that if newts aren't going into the water, its a good idea to try and get the water level above the land so that their feet get wet when they are resting on it. This gets them used to the idea of being wet & makes them more likely to get in the water. HTH.
Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 20:15
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #9
i thought about putting the water level slightly above ground level, but i was wondering wether it would stress the little fella out, cus he would pretty much always be in the water and have no choice otherwise

in relation to feeding: i handfeed my little guy and it usually takes a little bit of bloodworm and hes good for two or three days, if i try and feed him any more he walks away or moves his head from side to side asif saying "get that away from me!"

perhaps if i cant provide an adequate home it'd be better to take him back to the LFS?
===========
Original Image

===========
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 10/4/2008 20:41
Re: Firebelly newt - not in the water #10
i wouldnt worry too much either way, both lots of newts have access to water and are able to get out of it, and they all seem to be doing pretty much whatever they feel like doing, so i woudl just leave them to it to be honest. they are no signs that anything is wrong with any of tehm is there.
it is important for newts to have a largish water area, but they dont do deep water, they stick to shallow pools where they can get out but stay damp. you could always put some leafy plants in the tank that newts can climb up if they come out the water or rest on the leaves at the surface..
Gill

Original Image