Euryale Euryale
  • Brackish Moderator
  • Brackish Moderator
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/5/2005 21:29
Makosam #1
Hope you don't mind me addressing this to you but I'm pretty sure your the only other person on here that keeps gobies.
The weekend I'm planning to finally move my gobies and glass fish in to the new tank, what I wanted to know if you have any tips for plant & rock decor to keep them happy. Do your gobies have 'caves', do they like more rock than plant stuff like that. I have read a lot about using substrate to keep the PH high in a brackish tank but seeing as mines 8 to 8.5 from the tap I'm just gonna stick to my pea gravel
Also apart from bloodworm any tips of food, they are very fussy aint they

Ta.

Resized ImageResized Image
Resized Image
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2005 22:42
Re: Makosam #2
Of course i don'tmind you addressing this post, i feel quite honoured!!
Its a bit difficult planting the ol' brackish tank, but its still possible My tank is furnished with a significant clump of Java fern in the centre and 2 large pieces of bogwood at one side, the bogwood is arranged in such a way as to create some caves and 'swim throughs'. The other side of the tank is a collection of pebbles towards the front and some coraline rocks built up towards the back of the tank creating lots of caves. Now the gobies do like their own patch, so what i have found is one has claimed the pebbles, one the caves, one the weeds, and the other two claim the opposing caves in the bogwood!!!! (and by doing so brave the pufferfish )

I think to sum that up, yes, they like a bit of cover, somewhere to disappear to and claim as their own. Having said that once they have their own 'place' they do regularly pop out into the open water, especially when they're hungry!!! Sometimes they get a little cranky with eachother when they trip over eachother's space, but its short lived and very...... gobyish! You'll know what i mean when you see it

I wouldn't worry too much about your pH from the sounds of your tapwater, its similar to mine and my gobies seem happy enough, and i have few pH problem in the tank. My substrate is a mix of fine pea gravel and fine sand, but to be honest this is mainly to give the java fern something to root into.

And finally, yes they are a sod to feed. Mine like frozen bloodworm, frozen bloodworm and frozen bloodworm! The occasional live offering may be taken, some brine shrimp for example. I think it depends largely on what your LFS has been feeding them.

Good luck with the tank, keep me informed!

Sam
Euryale Euryale
  • Brackish Moderator
  • Brackish Moderator
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/5/2005 23:38
Re: Makosam #3
Thanks Sam, that gives me some ideas on tank decor - they have already set up their own little 'pads' in the tank the are in now but i wanted to make the new tank a bit more goby friendly
I've got plenty of java fern and rocks at the ready so I can take my time getting it just right, might buy some pebbles now you've said that too.

I take it frozen blood worms on the menu then
I do feed live once a week because the glass fish are bloody fussy eaters aswell, gotta admit the gobies do well to get there share from them because the glass are so quick and very aggresive eaters yet even though the gobies are much smaller they go 'toe to toe' with them for want of a better expression Cool little fish!
Resized Image