• Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/6/2004 7:30
White film and pumps info please #1
Hi to all
first problem:-

i have got a creamy white film over the leaves of my plants, basket gravel and anything esle in the pond that stays still, water is a bit cloudy but its a newish pond only 2 weeks old today. fish seem ok swimming and eating ok. any ideas???

second problem:-
pumps - i have a tulip fountain head and a water spitter, do i have to leave them on 24 hours?
also what do i do in the winter as i have cabled them underground from the garage and dont want to have to keep digging the drive up, help!!!!!!!!!1

there was me thinking that keeping a few fish would calming and therapeutic. I cant sleep at night for worring about them out there all alone!

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 7/6/2004 8:13
Re: White film and pumps info please #2
Whitish film might be some form of algae or protein growth, i'm not sure ,but as you say its a new pond, i would just monitor it closely & see how it developes,fitting a filter will help to clear the water. new ponds sometimes take a while to settle down.
as regards the pump i leave mine running all year round but in winter i shut off the fountain.
HTH
ray
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 7/6/2004 8:23
Re: White film and pumps info please #3
HI Ray
I think with it all being new i am over protective etc, slightest change and i am scouring the pond books etc.

the tow water features i have wont take a filter on them, they were very inexpensive (one learns by ones mistakes)

cheers chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 7/6/2004 20:03
Re: White film and pumps info please #4
Re the film I dont know but think it is part of new pond syndrome.
Re the pump/fountain, electrically speaking. I would leave it in the pond over winter and its cabling in situ. More about the pump later. I assume you have the cable in some form of conduit. If not DIG IT UP and be prepare to put it in conduit. If you want to remove the pump then either cut the cable and uses an IP68 rated connector as a new plug and socket, or dig up the cable and lay a kosher extension cable. These IP68 connectors are sold as plug and socket complete and are sold in B&Q's pond section packaged by Hozelock, EXCACTLY the same connector is available in B&Q's electrical section packaged by some one else for £4 extra, guess which I bought? If you lay a new cable I would consider an armoured cable, but shop around for this as prices vary greatly and B&Q is probably not the cheapest source for cable, if you go to an electrical trade shop ask their advise on using conduit as well.

Back to the pump, whether or not to leave the pump running is a matter of personal choice. Background, water is an odd substance and reaches its densist at 4C, above and below that temperature it expands. The result of this is that in winter when the outside temp is below 4C you are likely to find the warmest water is at the bottom of the pond. This is one reason why ponds freeze from the top down, if you mix the water by pumping from the bottom you may be depriving the fish of their warm blanket.
I generally switch pumps off in the winter, those who have deep pumps and keep them running over winter generally lift them onto a shell to reduce their mixing effect. If you leave your pump in without it running then I suggest you sink it below the likely ice line and clean it in the spring as it may have gummed up over winter. If you leave it in and running place it shallow
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 0:21
Re: White film and pumps info please #5
Hi Sean

yes the cable is routed through metal piping as it has to come from the garage under a gravel driveway then trough the varigated dwarf conifer garden and across the lawn. Knowing me with a spade i decided to go for heavy duty metal piping that came off the back of someones truck and is old electric cable conduit.

Thanks for the advice on the pumps, i have read since where having the pump ie fountain going will make the water colder. I have left enough cable in the pond to lift out if necessary and store at side of pond in sealed plastic tubs filled with thermal material.

another concern is with no fountain and spitter going in the winter by which time the pond will have settled down and the oxygenerating plants will have taken a better hold. will there be enough oxygen in the pond, but then if they are less mobile etc they dont need as much i suppose.

all these questions and i thought keeping a pond would calming and relaxing, im now on valium in the morning and mogadons in the evening with the odd bottle of scotch thrown in (lol)

thanks again

chopper

• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 8:26
Re: White film and pumps info please #6
The temporary pond
Resized Image
that I think I refered to in the other thread only had a pump running during the warmest days of summer. The above was taken the winter before last. Water holds more oxygen when cold than when warm so the oxygen levels in winter will generally be fine. The problem arises when the pond totally freezes over, that is why some use a shall pump, it may pervent a total freeze over.
My ponds froze over completely for several days last winter
Resized Image
but the fish were fine, however, both of my ponds hold a lot more water than yours so you may not have this leeway. Incidently do not smash an air hole in the ice, melt one. The shockwaves caused by smashing ice can kill fish.
stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 21:07
Re: White film and pumps info please #7
Hi Chopper
I do agree with Ray regarding your cable if you are going to change it you should put in armoured cable (I work for wholesaler so if you need any help on this let me know ) but you do not mention anything about protection for the cable ie electrically i hope you have an RCD as this will protect the cable and more importantly YOU and as we all know water and electricity don't mix.
Another suggestion for connecting plugs in the garden is the type that is used on caravan sites once again these are IP65 rated which means rainproof. This is something I have used in my garden for about 8 years, with no water ingress. Before this I used electrical BEZA boxes but no matter what you do water will find a way in. Again if you need anymore info let me know, because I might know some wholesalers in your area.
And don't get stressed so much it is not as bad as it first seems. And with this site ( which I think is invaluable )there will always be somebody here to help you.

Just enjoy your pond

Best wishes STEVE
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 22:34
Re: White film and pumps info please #8
HI

Yes there is a RCD in the garage, when the garage was wired a few years ago the bloke doing it wouldnt cable the garage unless i agreed to having one fitted and it is has been invaluable over the years, woth with the chain saw shredder and nuerous other big boys toys.

Now, just went up to lock gagage and my tulip headed fountain was only giving a little dribble (so i switched it off) and took the filter out of it and omg was it thicj with filth. Plus it isnt even on the bottom of the pond it stands on two bricks. Washed it out dried it (which i thought was funny after wards as it was going back in water) and the fountain looks lovely again.

oh well time for bed said zebedee

chopper

• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 6:39
Re: White film and pumps info please #9
With what did you wash out the filter? For future reference the filter may well have useful bacteriological action going on. This helps convert amoni.... ,which the fish kick out as a waste product, into nitrite and then nitrate etc. Washing the filter in tap water will kill this bacteria and so will drying the filter.
I slap my filter media on a board to knock the worst of the mud out but watch out for the splash and then dunk and squeeze the media in a barrel of mature water. If you dont have a barrel you could use a bucket of pond water, if you want to save the water let the muck settle out, which will probable take a day, then decant the clear water and dump the mud on the garden.
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 21:49
Re: White film and pumps info please #10
HI

yes u guessed i used tap water (well it was the first time) will know for future reference, thats why this site is so good, all this help.

cheers
chopper