• Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 15:41
This years mission. #1
I'm planning to take out the old, excuse of a pond:

Original Image

And dig it deeper, and longer.

I'm going to start by taking the old pond out, then I will dig straight down to about 3ft and construct a wooden frame around the pond. Then I will attach mesh to the frame to stop the sides from collapsing.

Then I will add the liner underlay, and hopefully will add an L shaped box liner so there shouldn't be any folds/creases at all.

Then i'll swap 1 of the pumps, which has a poor flow rate with another one I have which has a flow rate of about 2000ltr/h. So I will have 2 pumps in, 1 powering the filter, and one powering the waterfall both about 2000ltr/h each.

And that should be it complete.

I'm going to be using Butyl liner, so I was considering putting the oulet from the filter directly into the pond through the liner, do you reckon that would be a good idea or not? I'm not sure because it wont be breaking the surface and it may make it suceptable to freezing over. Thoughts?

Also, I want to keep Koi in the pond, what depth/size or volume would you recommend to be able to keep big Koi healthy?

And of course I will be photographing everything I do, so when i'm finished i'll post the photos with a write up on here.

Cheers,
Dale.
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:05
Re: This years mission. #2
sorry for my ignorance... but why a L-shaped pond? You seem to have room for a large rectangle pond.... more room for the fish?

good luck with your project... i will follow with interest.
Natterjack

Original Image
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:21
Re: This years mission. #3
I am basically building a large rectangle, but im adding an extra bit on top giving it an L shape to give the fish more room, plus I think it sets the area of really well.

I have an area like this at the bottom end, and i'm planning on removing the rockery and conifer, moving it to the other side and using as much of that space as possible for the pond:

Original Image
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:33
Re: This years mission. #4
oh i see, i was judging from the first picture! I didn't realise you were making room at the other end! I was suggesting that you could lose the wooden feature and fill that space as extra room for pond. L-shape is more interesting than a boring rectangle anyway!
Natterjack

Original Image
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:51
Re: This years mission. #5
Looking at the photo, if I extend it all the way out to there and dug it to a depth of 3ft do you reckon it would be suitable for fully grown Koi?

And, what would you recommend, 3ft, 3.5ft, or 4ft depth?
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:54
Re: This years mission. #6
sorry... cant help on that front. I know nothing about koi carps except they are massive when fully grown!! just thought it may dislodge itself on the small part of the pond but I am rubbish working out the scale...
Natterjack

Original Image
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:57
Re: This years mission. #7
as for depth, I believe the deeper the better because of the freezing winter, fish will find warmth at the bottom of pond. Dont quote me on that...
Natterjack

Original Image
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 17:08
Re: This years mission. #8
I guess the decision on depth will be down to the cost of the liner, and i've heard that about the cold winters too, currently the pond is only 1ft (i did it before i knew anything about fishkeeping) and i was dreading the winter.. luckily they have survived, but there was fry in there too so i wonder if any have made it..
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 18:19
Re: This years mission. #9
go as deep as you can the deeper the better
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 18:31
Re: This years mission. #10
So, seems im going to be using Butyl liner, do you reckon I should run the filter inlet/outlet pipes through the liner and underground? It would make it look better, but i'm worried that it might make the pond more suceptable to freezing over because it wont be breaking the surface of the water..