EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 13:58
...another tank... #1
After flipping out at me placing the 130L quarantine in the living room my wife just asked if we can keep it. She saw turtles at the fish store yesterday and wants some, so do the kids

The goldfish will go to a pond in the summer and so she wants me to use that 100L tank as my quarantine and set the 130L tank up with turtles. Undoubtedly she'll get bored or confused at some point and the actual looking after will be left to me after a few months. She'll feed them but the cleaning out and maintainence of all the equipment will become my job. I'm ok with that, so long as everything is planned out properly before hand.

So, the first question, are there dwarf turtles species suitable for captivity in a 3' x 1' tank?

The turtles I saw in the fish store where in fairly square shaped 30" tank but spent their whole time scrabblining at the corners. gave me the impression they needed more space...?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 15:30
Re: ...another tank... #2
Oh god, resist the turtles, has your life just got too easy or something?

Sorry. Now formulating suitably upbeat response ...

Turtles, how cute! And there is plenty of expertise around to assist! Enjoy!
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:16
Re: ...another tank... #3
There arent that many small species, most get over a foot. Perhaps try a clemmys guttata or one of the smaller fully aquatic box turtles (obviously dont choose a terrestrial one unless you wanted to get into the more complicated business of keeping a turtle to the standards of a tropical tortoise). Some of the cuora box turtles are entirely aquatic and a bit smaller than the regular sliders and cooters.If you want a conventional turtle that requires the same care as a red ear only on a smaller scale, try a chrysemys picta picta, painted turtle, they rarely break 6 inches. I think theyre a bit prettier than red ears too.

Generally for most turtles youd be thinking in terms of 100 gal aquaria and ponds, since many are more intelligent than fish and should have more amusement and erichment in their lives. Out door pools for summer are a good idea too, and if youve neve rkept a reptile before check the stickies about MBD and diet, and what lighting to provide. Turtles can suffer horrific deformity if their d3 metabolism and calcium requirements and heat needs are not properly met.

lol I know that eagle has had more than his fair share of problems lately, I should think having a turtle would be a comparative joy after the marine thing, they are easier in regards to disease immunity. About the only thing with a better immune system than a turtle is a crocodile, maybe a shark.
Original Image
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 16:57
Re: ...another tank... #4
Oh, and before taking on a red ear, dont forget, they hit this sort of size in 6-7 years.

This is frisbee my old rescue turtle female, shes
"tubbing it" atm, in from the harsh winter, but shell be going out again in a few weeks. Im enjoying her later years of easy maintenance, you couldnt expect a youngster to survive without the heat and the UV bulbs, but this one is only indoors for 2 months a year. Had her since I was 19, which makes her er..18. Shes 26cms along the carapace, weighs a shade under 4 kilos. She lives outdoors most of the year.

Original Image

She would probably get stuck in a 30 gal. lol.
Original Image
natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 17:00
Re: ...another tank... #5
eagle... are you glutton for punishment? WHY?!!

Surely you have enough collection without another massive project....
Natterjack

Original Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/3/2008 17:39
Re: ...another tank... #6
Yeas, I know... but they are cute and the frogs are no trouble at all. I'm thinking of this for a christmas present for the kids - so loads of time to plan it out and get it right, or give up. I already said no to the yellow bellied turtles Angela liked because I had a nasty feeling that they wouldn't like a 3'x1' aquarium for very long!

If its going to need another 100G aquarium then we can knock it on the head now I think.