(1) 2 3 »
ludgate ludgate
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/5/2005 16:06
koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #1
Advice appreciated: Yesterday one of our pond fish flipped itself out of our raised pond and landed 24 inches below onto paving. The dog saw it first and I saw her 'playing' with it with her front paws. I thought it was dead but about 5 minutes later my son saw it moving. The boys gently lifted it into the pond with gloved hands and miraculously it slowly came to and swam away. It had bloody spots on its head and body. A few hours later the other pond fish were seen attacking its eyes and generally bullying it. We removed it overnight to a large baby bath filled with pond water and weed. It is still alive. What to do next? If it continues to be OK how long before we reintroduce it to the pond? Any thoughts apprieciated.

icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 4/5/2005 17:30
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #2
i have no knowledge of koi, would suggest adding melafix to help with the wounds/abrasions. once the fish looks well enough to stick up for itself try returning to pond, monitor closely & if any problems remove fish, hopefully someone who is clued up on koi will be along soon.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/5/2005 18:22
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #3
tbh koi are just extra large goldfish so should be treated like any other fish only need a larger tank
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
halfpastdead halfpastdead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 4/5/2005 18:29
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #4
ya might wanna quarantien the fish for a long wile if the dog has bitten the fish levein holes the dogs bribble may have very harmfull effects on your poor fish

the meta fix will help like TDL said its just a realy big fish

befor you say your dog is nice and clean i know your dog is nice and clean but his bottom isnt and thats where his mouth has been

i hope your fish recovers and is wellcomed back in to the pond

Resized Image
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/5/2005 18:34
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #5
i wouldnt be too worried about the dogs bum germs to be honest its the bacteria that are in its mouth that digest flesh, but then human mouths contain sommat like 2 times more bacteria than a dog has
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Mango_Fish Mango_Fish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2005 12:59
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #6
First off, this Koi should quarentined in pristine water salted water. Try to match temps, and then slowly raise the temp of the QT to around 24C. Salt his water to 0.1% (this is 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water) Make sure the salt id fully dissolved before adding to the water otherwise the fish will try to eat the salt chrystals and burn his mouth. You may need to net the top of the QT because Koi dont like being on thier own and he may try to jump again.

Take a good close look at the scratch and check his gills, and fins for me. His gills should be nice and meaty red, not tattered. Also check for excesssive slime coat.

Can you get a picture of this fish? You can email it to me at mango.fish@gmail.com.

Also you say the fish jumped? Koi will only do this if there is something in the water they dont like! Have you checked the water in the main pond? Also how many fish and there types are in there.

Oh and FYI, Koi DO NOT like being in tanks of any kind. The glass sides of an aquraium are way too stressfull for Koi. There is also a rule of thumb to follow with KoI. They need a bare minimum of 250 Gallons of water to thrive.

Anything i missed?
QueenWen QueenWen
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 6/5/2005 16:20
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #7
if you dont have a Qtank yet, you can go to any conveiniance store and find a large rubbermaid tub. its hard to find 250 gallons of water, so if absolutely nessisary, at least make sure the size of the tank gives the fish room to move (i would say at least 10 times the fishes body size)

thats only if its nessisary. try to find at least 250 gallons first.

and no mango, you covered everything that i can think of.
cept that maybe we can get some antibiotics in the QT just to be safe? and mabye medicated food? what do u think?
Mango_Fish Mango_Fish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2005 17:56
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #8
I dont think we should use antibiotics just because. Bugs can build up a resistance to antibiotics, and then when they are needed they dont work. Medicated food is the same thing, plus its really hard to come by in England.

Like i say, i'd like to see a picture of this injury before we decide whats needed. Warm salted water will do wonders on its own, and untill we know what this looks like its a good idea to just stick with that.
QueenWen QueenWen
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 6/5/2005 18:01
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #9
oh thanks. i did not realise that they could build an immunity. but that DOES make sence. thanks *hugs*
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/5/2005 18:13
Re: koi with scratch injuries (bloody) being attacked by fellow fish #10
I was just going to say we can't get medicated food over here