(1) 2 »
learntoswin learntoswin
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 10:29
more jewel fry!! #1
you may remember that a little while ago i had 2 jewels in a 2 foot tank and they decided to breed
after investing in a new seabray 4 foot tank i moved the fry and adults in and decorated it with slate and all was good .... fry are still healthy and the water quality is sorting it's self out
BUT
came home from work yesterday to find the female chasing away her fry and as she has been a great mother this seemed a little odd, further investigation was required and when i looked she is protecting a little bit of flat slate near the bottom of the tank. On the slate is a perfect circle of eggs... hard to count them but looks like there is hundreds... mrs learntoswin said and i quote " you are not having another ******** tank to keep them in"
is divorce a viable option or will they be ok in the tank with the juvaniles LOL
i'm hoping that someone will tell me that all the eggs will not hatch
you can insult my wife, you can insult my kids, but DON'T insult my FISH
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 10:37
Re: more jewel fry!! #2
Unfortunately now that she's spawned again the older fry are not deemed to need parental care and are left to look after themselves.
Therefore they become direct competion for food and also a threat to the future brood.
You can move them and get divorced or let nature take its course. Sadly its not nature as they're in a tank and the olderfry can't move on to pastures new.
Are they big enough for an lfs to take? or try letting them go on aquarist classified.
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
learntoswin learntoswin
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 10:46
Re: more jewel fry!! #3
the old brood are on average 1/2" long so no where near big enough for lfs but i am happy for someone to take them into a good home but just finding someone who can take 17 jewel fry might be a challenge
also the internal filters are kicking out one hell of a current and as this is the first brood in this setup i don't know if newly hatched fry will cope with them
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 11:39
Re: more jewel fry!! #4
Quote:

learntoswin wrote:
mrs learntoswin said and i quote " you are not having another ******** tank to keep them in"
is divorce a viable option

Sadly no, as it will leave you too short of funds to pursue your hobby ...
You are not helping yourself with your signature either which might be cited in any proceedings ...

I feel you should either
a) Get her to truly love the fish. Tell her they like her. Point out that they are looking adoringly at her. etc etc
or
b) Establish a household rate of exchange. Whatever works for you. In our household there is a rough correlation between bits of hi-fi and fish tanks ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
learntoswin learntoswin
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 12:13
Re: more jewel fry!! #5
lol cathie

in all seriousness she is very understanding as i have about 1,000l capacity in total with all my tanks ,
and she helps clean 'em out every week

she even turns the lights of the tank off when we're watching a movie or she gets distacted and misses the film

it's amazing watching nature happen but when they are so prolific it does cause a logistical nightmare
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 12:22
Re: more jewel fry!! #6
Yes, I don't envy you!
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 18:49
Re: more jewel fry!! #7
if you can get a tank devider or even just a bit of plastic mesh from a craft shop then that would do fine for them as a seperation device, 17 of them would be fine in a 1ft bit of tank at the one end of the tank
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 9/3/2008 1:14
learntoswin learntoswin
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 9/3/2008 10:22
Re: more jewel fry!! #9
WHY DID I HAVE TO BE POSH AND GET A BOW FRONT WITH A CONDENSATION GAURD!!!!

unfortunately these seperaters are not suitable because of size and shape of tank and also the decor but.....

i have put 13 of the fry ....(all i could catch without upseting moma) into a 1 foot tank and will be able to free up the 2 foot tank in a couple of weeks for when they get bigger

they seem to be extremmely happy, made them a nice slate feature for thier new tank yesterday and they seem to be shoaling around it which is great news the last thing i want at the moment is aggresive fry

moma is at this very moment a little upset with papa, i think he was out all night wetting the babbies heads lol
the eggs are hatched and she's moved them right up against a pilar that is holding up a piece of slate

Mrs L doesn't know yet but i'm getting her a camera for her b'day, her first project is to take some decent pics for you guys
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/3/2008 10:25
Re: more jewel fry!! #10
Quote:

learntoswin wrote:
Mrs L doesn't know yet but i'm getting her a camera for her b'day, her first project is to take some decent pics for you guys

Assuming its going to be a digital make sure its got good macro and very low shutter delay.