(1) 2 »
Anonymous  
Wooden raised pond project #1
Hi everyone, just found the forum and have been having a good read, sounds like everyone here enjoys the hobby :)

I start with the bad first - I have 4 gold fish and a couple of snails in a large(ish) wooden barrel with lots of plants against the house on the patio, they have lived quite happily there for 2 years but I want to give them a much larger, and hopefully better home to enable me to put some lillies and taller plants in and ease my consience (excuse the spelling) about the size of their home - and am seeking advice..

I want to build a raised rectangular wooden pond that will be 100cm (or 1m)long, 60cm wide and 58cm high, I have calculated that this will give the 4 goldfish 76.65 gallons (345ish litres) and the a box on both ends to contain plants to provide shade from the sun / frost and cut the wind affect a little.

My question is - do you think this is large enough for 4 goldfish and some snails to live in comfort or should I forget the planters and give them the full 200cm (2m) width which will boost the pond to 153 gallons (694 litres)

I cannot make it any larger due to width constrictions, and it must be a raised pond due to a couple of little un's with no sense of danger !

The pond will be well sheltered with the house in front, a very high wall behind, a fence on one side and will be open to the garden main on the other side..Also the pond will be filtered during summer with a hozelock biofilter/uvc as is the wooden barrel - during winter I remove it all to avooid any frost damage - plenty of plants in there and snails which seems to keep it all oxygentated and the algea under control..

Sorry about the essay of the post - I promise to make it up with some pictures once I start building..
Anonymous  
Re: Wooden raised pond project #2
Ah ! I'm an idiot - just realised I posted this in the wrong section, can a mod delete it ? Sorry !!
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/3/2008 23:23
Re: Wooden raised pond project #3
Hi there, welcome to the site.

Neither ponds or coldwater fish are my area really so I'm sure someone will be along with better advice later

for what its worth anyway:-
Given the normally athletic nature of large common goldfish I'd be tempted to give them a 2m long pond if possible. Also the depth should be at least 90cm to protect them from the cold of winter. Preferably below ground level for the extra insulation. This obviously doesn't mean you cant have your 58cm above ground too, just dig down 40-50cm first.

If you go for the 2m length then either end can be a shallower shelf with some aquatic plants in pots or planters sunk under the water surface. You can get a few plants that grow up from under the water to several feet above. This would give you the extra water volume and swim area whilst allowing you the plants for aesthetics, shelter and water quality.

//edit// no need to delete it! A mod can move it for you
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 18:38
Re: Wooden raised pond project #4
go for the full 2 metres length and as above, dig down a foot or so to make it deeper etc, you can also get a metal grid thing that will mean that the kids can walk over it in complete safety without completely ruining the aesthetics

if you can make a shelf around the pond as well along the back and on the enclosed side to allow planting so that they dont block the view and hide the wall/fence

all this will give you roughly 200 UK gallons to play with which would be the minimum for four goldfish
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 18:49
Re: Wooden raised pond project #5
Hi there No need to delete the thread as I have moved it to ponds for you ok have deleted your other duplicate one though as there where no replies yet
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/3/2008 21:24
Re: Wooden raised pond project #6
Search eBay for "Patio Pond". You will find some good kits.
Anonymous  
Re: Wooden raised pond project #7
Ok, cool guys - i have a look on ebay for patio ponds and if I dont find anything I go with the part raised / sunken idea with 2m width :)

Ta for moving the thread as well - I make sure I check which forum I'm in before posting again d'oh !
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/3/2008 23:21
Re: Wooden raised pond project #8
i have a part raised pond i think its the best way that way in the summer you can also sit on the side and feed the fish its much cooler i think lol
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
Anonymous  
Re: Wooden raised pond project #9
lol thats exactly what I want to do, sit in the sun with a cold beer feeding/watching the fish while the kids create havoc in the garden :)

Decided to go part sunken with wooden surround, forgetting about the planters on the side to give fish more space.

(Couldnt find any pre-fab / patio ponds that I liked, they all looked too half baked for me)
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/3/2008 19:27
Re: Wooden raised pond project #10
its etter to get digging then you think oh that would look good with a step there or i want this bit deeper if you get me lol
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis