chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/6/2004 5:11
NEW POND #1
Hi All

As stated in members lounge about my new pond, 1.6m x .60m x .40m, got 5 oxygenators, 2 lilys and 2 iris and one fountain is this enough to keep 10 little goldfish happy. Water was clear but last day or so has gone cloudy. fish swimming about ok. Bought a new fish spitter (ornamental bronzed fish with jet of water coming out of mouth)(reduced in B&Q) but undecided whether to use it if enough oxygen is geting created with fountain and plants.

Also from the pond books from the library (got a bargain at a charity shop yesterday by the way, very informative pond book for 95p)with the size of my pond and only goldfish in it (and that's not meant to be detrimental to goldfish)do i need a filtration unit etc.

regards

chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 6/6/2004 8:54
Re: NEW POND #2
Hi Chopper,
one gold fish needs 10 gallon of water, your pond works out to about 85 gallon, which is a little bit overstocked with 10 goldfish, but not enough to worry about .
get a filter, goldfish tend to produce a lot of waste.
One thing that needs thinking about is the pond depth, your is about 16 inches, to overwinter you need a minimum depth of 18 inches,preferably 24 inches, we can't have the goldies getting frostbite .
hope this helps. Hopefully Goldy will be along to give you more tips, she is the resident expert on goldfish
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/6/2004 22:08
Re: NEW POND #3
Hi chopper They recommend 10 us or 8 uk gallons per goldfish so if your pond works out at 85 gallons like icthytitch said then you are ok with the 10 goldfish, I would think a filter will be needed to keep the pond clear and healthy as goldfish are very dirty fish, though some pond owners keep their ponds without a filter but heavily planted instead, you will also have to be carefull in the winter with the pond not being very deep as it could freeze solid.
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 7/6/2004 22:08
Re: NEW POND #4
Re depth I would pretty much go along with what has been said so far assuming the 40cm is the depth it is a bit shallow for winter. That said my 'temporary' pond which was home to 15 goldfish over winter was about 14 to 18 inches deep and of less volume than yours BUT it was far more heavily planted than yours. The fish did fine and bred 3 times in their first summer in that pond.
I would point out one other disadvantage of a shallow pond, it is heron wadeable, my wildlife pond replaced the temporary pond and although far larger in area than its predecessor it is only slightly deeper. All the adult frogs disappeared from that pond 'overnight' and signs of a heron visit appeared at the same time. I think the heron waded the pond and got them. I cant/couldnt easily go deeper without a pneumantic hammer drill and I am going to erect an electric fence around the pond. If you can I suggest deepening the pond.
Incidently the gold fish are now in a 4' deep pond
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 0:30
Re: NEW POND #5
Hi Sean

I have a plastic 2 ft heron by the side, plus the pond is netted on a heavy frame when i am not pottering around the garden, plus i have a very nasty dog who patrols the estate (ok its a garden) but ive ideas of grandeur now i've got a pond.

on the depth issue, most of the pre moulded ponds are around the 42 cms depth and it is only the massive ones that go to 60cm depth.

Most of my neighbours round where i live (believe me ive visited them all) have the same kind of ponds and depth, one has koi in about the same depth and there a whoppers. I think it is a case of suck it and see, but there are plans to enlarge next year. This pond was/is an experiment to see how i went on and whether it worked as a hobby or became a chore. 2 weeks on nothings getting done as all what i do is sit by the pond watching the fish swim back and forth.

thanks again for help

chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 8/6/2004 8:52
Re: NEW POND #6
Re the heron decoy some people say this is of little value and may actually attract other herons who are checking for a possible mate or conversely a competitor.
Re the depth and this being a preform. I know someone else who is contemplating a small preform and I have come up with an idea for enlarging and deepening a preform using a flange of normal sheet liner. There is a double sided sticky tape intended for pond use known as liner seaming tape. The process is in brief
1) stick a run of this tape all the way around the top of the lip of the preform
2) with one other person stretch the liner out to form a flat sheet and, like putting cling film over a bowl, bring the liner down onto the top of the preform and the tape.
3) cut out the centre of the sheet, making the cut about 4" away from the preform wall,
4) into the internal overhanging flap that results from this cut darts out to the tape to convert the over hanging flap into a number of flaps that hang down the inside wall of the preform
5) build up, with soil etc, new outer walls and lay the flange over these.
There are some more details to this process that can be discussed later if the idea interests you.
Incidently it might be an idea to do trial runs of laying the liner over the preform, cutting out the centre and converting the flap by playing with a household plastic washingup bowl some normal double sided sticking tape and a sheet of news paper.
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 12/6/2004 1:46
Re: NEW POND #7
Seems like a good idea, (had u used to watch Valerie singleton on blue Peter as a kid).

As i have said i will see how i go on with what i have got and then next year will go bigger.

Started small as i didnt want to get bogged down (excuse the pun) now realise that i could and should have gone deeper. Another point the sides of my pond are veritcal, one book says this will cause a problem if it freezes another book says it wont!!!!!!!

Regards
Chopper

• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 12/6/2004 15:26
Re: NEW POND #8
"had u used to watch Valerie singleton on blue Peter as a kid"
Yes.
Kylie Kylie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in