Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/3/2008 20:57
SA Puffer question #1
Hi all,

I have a small SA puffer (about one and a half inches and needed some advice on feeding. He is an a tank with a number of other fish and seems to mainly get bloodworm. What else can I feed him on e.g. whats best for him to crunch on??

Any other advice welcome!

Simon
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/3/2008 21:06
Re: SA Puffer question #2
Baby snails?
Maybe you need a little snail breeding tank.
If he doesn't eat lots of them you will eventually have to trim his beak (or whatever it's called) - rather you than me ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 5/3/2008 22:58
Re: SA Puffer question #3
ok...whats stupid question but whats needed for a snail breeding tank...lol apart from a tank and some snails : ) any particular type of snails??
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/3/2008 23:48
Re: SA Puffer question #4
common pond/ramshorn snails do the job, never use MTS as they are too hard and can break/chip the puffers teeth

other than that you need a small pump for water movement (nutrient movement and to deal with ammonia) like a fluval one

a light is great to create lots of algae, a strong light is perfect

keep the tank bare bottomed so it's easier to clean as well and maybe add something like elodea as a constant supply of food
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 6/3/2008 12:10
Re: SA Puffer question #5
ok cheers...here begins another project...lol.
Nikki Nikki
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 13/8/2008 10:48
Re: SA Puffer question #6
Hi nanoreef,

I have 2 SA puffers, quite big now, but I have tried snails, cockles, muscles etc etc and they refuse to eat anything except bloodworm! I even witheld food for a day to wait till they were very hungry but couldn't leave it any longer as I have other fish too!

So I trim their teeth every few months when they start to grow too long using cuticle cutters whilst they are 'anaesthetised' with a small amount of clove oil.

I was very nervous about this the first time, I'm sure some of the members will remember my paranoia! But now it is still a little worrying as you have to be quick as use the correct amount of clove oil, careful not to cut their mouth etc, but they are fine with it and I have it down to a fine art, and they have lovely short teeth now

If you have to go down this road, message me and I'll find the link to the page for you as I have it printed off at home.

Good luck!