scottishlass scottishlass
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:25
her fish is in a bad state #1
Hello Guys,

Today i come in hope that you can offer advice for my friend karen , she has a 4.5 " lion head in a 55 litre tank, she got this fish from the neighbour who has kept it in a 20 litre tank for about 2 years, and i know through my own days of not understanding the needs of fish (and the cycle) this was far too small, but the poor things tail is in such a state she is now wonder what is the best thing for this fish.
She tells me he is eating fine, and swimming normally, i did notice it has a huge part of it's tail missing, but this did not look like a recent thing as it was healed at that particular part but the rest of it's tail on the other side looked to be in very bad shape.
it to me looks spotty like ich, eaten away like finrot and vainy like ammoina/nitrite burn, she has no water kit so no water results, but she tells me she changes 20% every week adding tapsafe and stress zyme, she thought herself this was white spot and done a couarse of treatment but to no avain the poor fellow is getting worse, he seemed to be gulping a little but not too badly and that is about all i can say sooo please crunch your brains on this one and tell me if this little fellow can be saved and what the best coarse of action is!
Cheers
Angie

Attach file:

jpg  (474.63 KB)
5641_47c9d73b07ff6.jpg 2592X1944 px
advice always welcome!
furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:29
Re: her fish is in a bad state #2
it does lok a bit like whitespot, and i know from personal experience that not all the meds work all the time. try using aquarium salt and raising the temperature. not sure how this works for goldfish but im sure someone will be along soon to help.
Resized Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:30
Re: her fish is in a bad state #3
cheers!
advice always welcome!
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:42
Re: her fish is in a bad state #4
How long has the fish been in the 55L tank? was the tank fully cycled before the fish went in? (as she doesnt have a test kit I'd say probably not)

Until she gets a test kit she should change 20% of the water every day. Just to be safe. Make sure this is done calmly, slowly and that the water is up to room temperature before entering it into the tank - so as to avoid unessesary stress and shock.

Yes though, that is Ich. Protozin is a good medication for white spot but she needs to fix the water quality too.
If she cant get protozin, try King British Whitespot control - I've not used it but it has the right active ingredients. Follow the instructions to the letter.

Dont increase the temperature of the tank until you have medication in there to kill the white spot and then only if there is a nice big airstone in there and the fish looks healthy enough to take the extra stress it will put on his body in the short term. If you do increase the temperature only do it by 1C per day absolute maximum to 24C.

Finally, in coldwater you may have to do 2 whitespot treatments one after the other as the parasite has a slower reproductive cycle.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:54
Re: her fish is in a bad state #5
Thanks very much, i will pass this on , i have advised her to get a mini master test kit as it is more cost effective than buying them seperately but is this the right choice, i bought mine as seperates, but the nutrafin mini master is going for £13,50 on ebay with free posting but i fear she will need one sooner than this.......
Cheers
Angie
advice always welcome!
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2008 22:58
Re: her fish is in a bad state #6
i think the fish was transfered to the tank along with tank water from the old one, media and filter and she has an additional ehiem 2210 which i bought after someone here recommended it to me as i did to her, i know that the switch was not ideal and advised her the tank would not be fully ready but i think she was overcome by the way the fish looked and though the new space would do it some good
Cheers
Angie
advice always welcome!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 2/3/2008 10:22
Re: her fish is in a bad state #7
Actually the quick move was the best thing to do - same amount of filter bacteria but more water to dilute waste - never right to do fishless cycling on new big tank if fish are waiting in cramped old tank.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam