dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/2/2008 19:07
Green spot puffer #1
hi there i have a question for a friend who has a green spot puffer and his teeth became too long he has now trimmed the puffers teeth with nail clippers and clove oil to relax him, as i know nothing about puffers is this the correct way to do it he looks ok and i also wondered the best way to keep them worn down to a minimum i know eventually they should need clipping again but to prolong this is there a type of food that can be fed to keep the teeth healthy, thanks. and what food is good to feed puffers to get optimum nutrition, sorry about all of the question but my friend rescued the puffer from poor conditions.
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 28/2/2008 19:36
Re: Green spot puffer #2
Frozen shellfish, freshwater shrimp with the exoskeleton intact, even live if you can procure from a good disease free source, cockles mussels, clams, snails, literally whole and still frozen. I know peope panic about using foods that are still frozen, but many puffer keepers use frozen solid foods with no issues, I even gave up thawing out bloodworm myself many years ago, never had problems.
Original Image
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 29/2/2008 15:24
Re: Green spot puffer #3
as above really re-feeding, what size is it? as this will dictate a fair bit about foods

but yes, clipping the teeth in that way is quite common, but needs to be done carefully
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/2/2008 17:06
Re: Green spot puffer #4
thanks for the info the puffer is roughly max. 4 inches.

thanks again.