davekoi davekoi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Coll
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/4/2005 1:47
koi that lies down!!! #1
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I have a koi that likes playing dead, i.e. lies down on the bottom of the pond, until I get my net and it swims off!! I have asked my local koi dealer and he is baffled by this, the fish eats and swims ok, but likes to lie down, is there a reason for this or have I just got a lazy fish!!!
Any help would be appreciated.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/4/2005 13:36
Re: koi that lies down!!! #2
Hello there Strange behaviour I have heard of tropical fish that like to lie on their sides but never a carp, usually when they do this it is a sign that something is wrong, I take it your water readings are ok as are the rest of your fish so it maybe something to do with its swimbladder, hopefully one of our pond keepers will come on soon and able to help you further
davekoi davekoi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Coll
  • Posted on: 25/4/2005 0:54
Re: koi that lies down!!! #3
Thanks for the reply, all the water readings are fine, as for the other fish, the only thing we have noticed with some of them is that they keep skimming off the bottom, and jumping out the water, could this be some sort of parasite does anyone have any answers that would help us out please.
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 25/4/2005 7:50
Re: koi that lies down!!! #4
HI

this wont help but just to let u know u arent alone in having a Koi that likes to fool u. A neighbour of mine that has kept Koi for years has one Koi that does exactly wot yours does, and it's been doing it now for nearly 3 years, this one also floats in the water standing up for hours on end, then when he gets the net out to check he swims off and does a lap of the pond.

said it wouldn't help but just thought id mention it.

Sa,

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/4/2005 14:39
Re: koi that lies down!!! #5
Sometimes fish can skim trying to find food but it can also be down to a parasite like white spot, have you noticed any signs of anything as you may need to take one out if you can and check, do you have a large clear vessel or fish tank to be able to do this, as you should be able to see better this way
Mango_Fish Mango_Fish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2005 13:59
Re: koi that lies down!!! #6
If the water is O.K and temp warm enough for them to be active, i'd pull a few out and scrape and scope them. Your local Koi club will be able to help with this.