• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 16:20
filter bug**rd #1
hi.
hoping for a little reasurance.
i know this about the lottle but im hoping same principles apply.

now i got the lottle recentley. (like this weekend)
put in tank (obviousley)
was all cycled had been checking etc. (have two filters in there, same as my goldie tanks) a fluval 2 on a spraybar and a one. that has no spraybar.
well. i got a blooming ammonia spike, water change yesterday and hubby did one for me today as well. so when i got home from school. i thought i would check the filter's as why would it cope with before and feeding the tank (net full of food till rank and then a change)
well the two has gone up the swanny. its not turning the impella properley so not pumping through properley.
so am now planing a trip down to p@h to get a new pump.

hears the question.
obvousley the little pump is not quite enuff to filter on its own. (got that with the fact that i got a spike) but the old fluval works on cylindrical foam. i am hoping that the small amount of run through would mean that the bactiria is still on this spoung. so will this tube stuff fit in the new filter.
i know that im gonna have to keep up with the water changes but do i need to put sum am lock type stuff in or will that bugger it up more.

hope someone can make some sence of all i just said.
and is able to offer some words of wisdom.

thanks
laura

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 16:25
Re: filter bug**rd #2
Initially stick with water changes and tests, if the tests show that you have ammonia/nitrite despite the water changes then either use am-guard type stuff or a polyfilter (or other chemical filtration for ammonia,nitrite and nitrate)

eheim internal filters are cheap and LHG swears by them. If p@h dont sell them though the fluval 2plus is a very competant filter also.
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 16:32
Re: filter bug**rd #3
cool thanks for that.

i have had good luck with the fluvals before but i must admit to this one being old. dont think my local p@h do enhime (cant spell it) cause i looked before, so i think it will have to be one of the new fluvals, water ready for daily water changes. feeding down to a min. (although he having a field day with the snails in with him.) so if he aint eatin it quick im taking it straight out. thanks for the reply. testing daily as well.

ok so off to pet shop now.
back soon.

thanks again eagle.

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 19:42
Re: filter bug**rd #4
ok back from p@h

they didnt have a fluval 2 in stock, so as it was hubby's baby he decided to get a fluval external.

(thank you very much)
plumbed it all in and it peed out water every where. after getting told off for putting the seal ring in the wrong place re-fitted it and volia. stuffed all the filter material from the other filter in it. and to be on the safe side i have left the carbon in as well, let it circulate a bit, tested and toped up (from the massive spilage, where i just managed to grab all the electric cord's before they were submurged) thankfully the amm is just off yello (api) so not even as far as the next reading
thats sumthing anyway.

like i say i then toped up with more fresh, and i have more made up for tommorow, think i will put a partial in every day this week, even if the reading comes back to 0. rather be safe than sorry.

how do that sound to you lot.

thanks for the help
laura

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 20:22
Re: filter bug**rd #5
Stressful, that's how it sounds! but also like the best thing to do under the circumstances. The fluval external's not sending out too powerful a current then?
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 20:26
Re: filter bug**rd #6
we have fitted a spray bar and turned it down to about half. so no he seems fine,

must admit i feel like i have gone ten rounds. fk is more stress full than a hall full of hungry pre-teen's even when they are having an all out war.

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 20:48
Re: filter bug**rd #7
That external should pay for itself in the long run. It will do a really good job of cleaning the water and be really low maintenance under the load you've put it.
Remember to look in the pond section when it comes to replacing the media, even ceramics. It's tons cheaper if you dont mind spending a few minutes carefully cutting foam and floss to size yourself.

Sounds like everything is under control again now though, well done
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2008 20:58
Re: filter bug**rd #8
thanks eagle, and thanks for the tip on media, i will have to remember that. especelly when i take the carbon out. must admit to looking at the refill pak's in p@h and they were between 6 and 9 pounds.
i'v been wanting an external for ages will be getting one when we get the big tank for the goldies, but that looks like its gonna be delayed for another couple of months. (got a big birthday bash for hubby in feb as he 40) so any spare pennies will be going on that.
thanks again for all your help
much apreciated.
laura

lolly
today i am lime flavor.