TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 17:55
Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #1
As soon as Payday comes around, I'm getting Ramses his own tank (that's been cleared with my parents). I've decided on a 2ft (says it's 54ltrs) Eheim tank that comes as a "Starter kit" with light, filter (which will be used in the 8gal) and heater. Then I can have the 8 gal as my Q tank again!! Woohooooo

Also went to one of the shops a bit further out that has always impressed me when it came to fishcare. I'm sad to say that, on this occasion, I was disappointed. They have a Q tank - in fact, by the looks of it, they have 2 - but the number of ailing fish they had in with healthy stock is unbelievable. There was a dead/dying catfish tangled on its side in some Cabomba in one of the quarantine tanks, a shubunkin with torn fins looking really sorry for itself (fins clamped and tail hanging down like it was too heavy to carry ) in with a larger goldfish (I suspect fin-nipping as opposed to Rot). The majority of a shoal of platies were literally on the gravel and about 10 clown loaches were in a tiny 2ft tank with mollies and neons. No wonder they were looking sorry for themselves!!

Now, I know they're hopefully only going to be in that situation for a while, but the Quarantine tanks are 4 footers!! Why not set up another tank out the back, away from the hustle and bustle of the shopping area, specially designed for Qurantine, and put the clowns in the 4fts?!

And as for the number of "goldfish" bowls on sale, we'll have to add Wilkinsons to the list of big names selling tiny 4ltr bowls!!!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest
T.L
Original Image
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 19:10
Re: Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #2
Nice one.
Get him a girlfriend and away you go!
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 20:31
Re: Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #3
Will 54ltrs be enough for 2 Ram cichlids?! If so, I most definately will Although, as I haven't got the tank yet, I could maybe stretch to a slightly bigger one.
T.L
Original Image
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 20:40
Re: Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #4
Yes no drama, as long as you have a compatible pair.
Try adding 2 females and you'll know when they've got it together. At which point remove the spare girly.
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 20:46
Re: Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #5
Thanks DW I'll do that.

Now I need to think of additions for the 44gal Think I might get a couple more Pristellas, and I've been thinking about another (tougher) kind of cichlid that really won't take any crap from Hannibal - or a pair of gourami.
T.L
Original Image
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 21:03
Re: Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #6
check out key hole ciclids very nice and should cope with Hannibal no prop and will be fine with your tetras
[img]http://i275.p
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/1/2008 21:20
Re: Rollercoaster Ride of Fishkeeping!! #7
Will do gwa Thanks.
T.L
Original Image