(1) 2 »
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 14:13
Nearly there! #1
Ok ammonia at 0 and now waiting for the nitrite to drop so making final preps for the arrival of the the tanganyikan gang.

First of all just want to check i am looking at a trio of multies (1male 2 female) and 1 julie transcriptus. Would one julie be ok alone or should he have a pal with him?

Got 50 shells in the tank so should be enough for 3 shellies. Ocean rock, coral sand etc.

Anything else i need. Oh i also have broken shells up into to 3 groups for territories.

Now i want to make a food list so any good chiclid staples i should be looking at and what should ideally be on my menue to suit the sheelies and julie?

Also any other meds i need or is the normal mela and pimafix, protozin and esha 2000 enough? (pg i dont need to use them)

Any other ideas?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 15:11
Re: Nearly there! #2
Waiting for nitrIte to drop is the most boring thing in fishkeeping.

I am pretty ignorant about julies, but seems mean to keep just one?? and to get a bonded pair you'd have to have a group of juveniles and watch for pair, or else buy a pair from a person rather than a shop I expect. Then if you have a pair you'll need to have caves for spawning, and what if there is aggression towards the multies or vice versa. Also won't they want lots of rocks and algae?

I feel it's safer to stick with multies.

Have you thought about how you are going to ensure you get the sex you want? Only thing I can suggest is to get the one biggest fish and the 2 smallest fish in the lfs, as there's no other way of telling until you get to know them!
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 17:15
Re: Nearly there! #3
Good point about sexing the multies cath. I know dragon keopt julies and multies together. Hopefully him or mr git will give their take later on.

How bout food cath. What you feeding the multies for a good varied diet?

What are the waterlife brimeshrimp eggs etc about? Are they what you need to "grow your own". Might be an intresting sideline to the hobby and good for the fish too.Are you safe from any nastys if you grow your own live food from those eggs/
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 17:16
Re: Nearly there! #4
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1536

Good news with the cycle. Hope the above link helps.
Not 100% sure that it would be a good mix as you are looking at the multies spawning.
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 18:11
Re: Nearly there! #5
I found them tricky to feed at first, but I've more got the hang of it now. They won't go anywhere near surface to feed, nor will they eat anything that has landed on sand or shells. And they've got very small mouths. So you need to find something in very small bits, that sinks slowly. Obviously live food like daphnia when you can get it goes down well. Also defrosted cyclops etc. They like the decapsulated brine shrimp egg, which are really tiny, but they are a bit of a fiddle as the waterlife ones are preserved in something that has to be rinsed off before you add them to the tank, this involves putting them in a handkerchief in a tea strainer ... Thedragonlord recommended JMC mini pellets, but only the adults can manage them, and also I find they like the sera microgranules which are a bit smaller. I have got hikari first bites for the fry.

Not sure about grow your own, got enough wildlife in the houe already ... I think the eggs are nutritionally better than brine shrimp themselves, I'm pretty sure thedragonlord said they have little food vaue unless pre-fed with something special.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 18:30
Re: Nearly there! #6
brine eggs should never be fed as a food, always hatch them first, i dont know if the decapsulated ones will allow the nutrients to pass through or not but i'd not risk it personally as there is sooo much else to feed them

many dry foods, tiny sinking pellets as mentioned, crushed flake etc new era do a good dry tanganyikan food that they take as well as the JMC high protein food that i fed mine all the time

frozen food is the best IMO, live daphnia once or twice a week is the best if you culture it yourself though, lobster eggs, enriched brineshrimp, cyclops etc

thats what i fed, they even take on bloodworms but they are just too big for them, as long as it's small, they'll try it
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 23:24
Re: Nearly there! #7
Is there a link or good site where i can read more about cultering my own daphnia etc.

Also drag how did you find the julies with the multies. SOme sites say they are aggresive and other say they are peaceful.

Did you keep one or two with the multies and how did they get on with adults and fry?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 23:44
Re: Nearly there! #8
Daphnia are easy in the summer - buy some and tip into water butt type thing outside. I'm going to try that this year. If it involves anything other than that I shan't bother.

Think Fishy-Fishy breeds all sorts of bugs for her fish.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/1/2008 23:56
Re: Nearly there! #9
i had no aggression problems with my pair of julies with the pair of multi's, they were my least productive pair of multi's, hence why i put them with the julies, just incase the julie fry managed to get into the shells and eat any young multi's, but the julie fry never managed to get that far from what i saw, the adults also tended to stay at their own ends of the tank, multi's stayed near their shells as normal and the julies stayed by their rock pile at tother end of tank

i've just posted an article on daphnia culturing myself so it should, hopefully, appear there soonish, it's how i did mine etc, i wrote it nearly a year ago so it's quite a simple article, but it does the job i hope
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/1/2008 0:08
Re: Nearly there! #10
hmm k so looks like maybe a pair of julies would be better than keeping one on their own ya think???

Look forward to the artical the drag. Well im off to the lfs tommorow as they had a new batch of tangys in last week and the guy in their is supposed to have kept his eyes for pairs that have formed.

Have to see tho. Got a feeling julie males and females dont differ much do they? Probo get a tank full of all male multies, 2 male julies and a big fight!