Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/1/2008 21:13
Fire Belly Newts #1
Hi everyone

i have 2 fire belly newts, a big one (who i think is female) and a small one (Possibly male?)

Both are feeding well and are being fed on bloodworm, and the occasional moth/fly that visits my bedroom but im starting to get concerned about the size difference...

The small one is 2 1/4 inches long from snout to tail and the big one is 3 inches long

is there a chance that the small one may be seen as a bite-size snack for the larger newt? there hasnt been any hostile behaviour between them but i cant help thinking its only a matter of time.

any ideas?

thanks (sorry to keep asking so many questions like this)
===========
Original Image

Whilst nursing the worlds biggest hangover

===========
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/1/2008 20:47
Re: Fire Belly Newts #2
sometimes newt will fight it just a thing they do and not much to do to prevent it the main thing is to give them as much room as you can and keep them fed nicely but not to much lots of bushy plants like horn wort are good for them as well as it helps them hide and stay secure wen i capt mine at first i had a bear tank and used to get fighting all the time then i very hevally planted it with horn wort and elodea they seamed to carme dawn allot
[img]http://i275.p
furiousferret furiousferret
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 16/1/2008 21:04
Re: Fire Belly Newts #3
newts are great fun. make sure they are not just baby paddletails as i was sold a pt as a firebelly and pts grow very big in comparison.

try not to worry about the size difference as it does happen, females are bigger and fatter. everything i read suggested that the males prefer their girls like that!

i hope it is a pair as that will (hopefully) stop them fighting. i had two male or female (wasnt sure) paddletails that fought all the time until one decided to go for a holiday down the back of the tank.

the battles are a sight to behold, and although they dont appear to damage each other it still isnt nice to see.

try planting the tank and addind 'caves' - ceramic flower pots etc, let them get their own territory.

when i first started mine were fussy eaters and the fish used to get the bloodworm first, so i used a flowerpot, placed against the glass that only the newts could get into and put the b/w in that. once they found it, they scoffed it and they've never looked back.

i keep mine with african clawed frogs now and they are very happy.
Original Image
Who is the Fifth Cylon? answers on a postcard...
Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2008 21:43
Re: Fire Belly Newts #4
ive got my 2 in a 15-litre fish tank with about 1/3 full of water with gravel substrate in the bottom, unheated with a Interpet PF mini for filtration, i dont keep them in with my fish as i tried it before but the newts hardly ever went in the water and the fish did occasionally nibble the newt if it was in the water

Both newts are feeding well and occasionally when i go over to feed them or look at them, they are on the top of the castle ornament mounting each other (snuggling, perhaps?)

i will probably try filling the tank up to about 2/3 or 3/4 full and see if they are more willing to swim

the tank isnt very well planted, one small artificial plant and 3 large twigs, a piece of floating bark and a large castle ornament
===========
Original Image

===========
Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2008 22:58
Re: Fire Belly Newts #5
change of plan, ive moved them to my old 37.5l fish tank and filled it half way up so now they have a much bigger home,

i tried them in with the fish in the tropiquarium 68 but neither seemed happy, at times i consider selling them off but they are such interesting creatures and i dont really want to part wth them
===========
Original Image

===========
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/1/2008 3:43
Re: Fire Belly Newts #6
ye they ar cute i had about 6 at one point mine did spend quite a while out of water but they do tend to feed in it its best to give them a land mass and plenty of plants
and reading that article they can live for anything from 1 to 60 years (waw)
have a read of this

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/re ... /salamanders/sal2541.html

just an extract i think you need a heater

They seem to do well at temperatures ranging from 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It has been reported that they will survive lower temperatures of 40 degrees, but this is not advised. If temperatures are too high, or they are overcrowded, Fire Belly Newts may experience appetite loss
[img]http://i275.p