Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/1/2008 18:15
Firebelly feeding #1
hi everyone

ive been feeding my 3 fire-belly newts on bloodworm. i chip off a small block (it comes frozen in blister packs) and place it on the piece of floating bark in their vivarium

but i never see them eating and there is always some food left when i wash it off the next day, they dont seem to be that fat or even that skinny. so am i feeding them wrong or do they feed mainly at night or something?
===========
Original Image

Whilst nursing the worlds biggest hangover

===========
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/1/2008 18:22
Re: Firebelly feeding #2
my fire bely would only eat in the water they rely on movement mainly for pray detection do you defrost the blood worm before hand i use to give them small bits of cooked chicken held between forceps then wiggled in front of their nose

also very small cricket's hold with forceps the put them under their nose they cant resist it
[img]http://i275.p
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/1/2008 18:57
Re: Firebelly feeding #3
IME they rarely fully leave the water, let alone feed out of it, unless very hungry

mine always had either 4 packets of live food a week (one every other day) OR 3 cubes of frozen a week
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Wild_Foamy Wild_Foamy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/1/2008 20:07
Re: Firebelly feeding #4
after reading the above comments i tried a different approach to feeding

i cut up some bloodworm and let it defrost on a plate, i then scooped it onto a little wooen spatula and waved it infront of the male newts nose (he was perched up on the castle) and he took a good few bites at it! :D i reloaded the spatula and did the same to the female (who was sat quite happily on the floating treebark) and the took a bit chomp at it and hung onto the spatula :P after a while she started turning her head away from the food which i thought must mean they are full (brainfreeze perhaps? :P)

it seems i was going about this feeding thing all wrong, thanks FK!

although the small injured newt is not wanting to feed and hes looking rather weak
===========
Original Image

Whilst nursing the worlds biggest hangover

===========
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 4/1/2008 0:17
Re: Firebelly feeding #5
its worth trying live blood worn or if you can get it small red worm from a fishing shop cut the red worm into sections and they'll wriggle in front of them coursing feeding response
[img]http://i275.p