chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 10:06
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1
HI Guys

went out to feed the fish this morning and have noticed one of them (and only one of them) has on either side of his top fin a black/reddish mark on either side of his fin. Netted him out and it looks as if he's been bit as there does not seem to be a lump, more an indentation. Checked him over and found nothing else and all the other little treasures seem ok.

Pond was recently trebled in size, with new water (treated) the only addition is some new oxygenating plants and 5 new snails.

They are all goldfish by the way (but just as precious ok).

Should i put a parasite treatment in the water just as a precauthion??

Keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 10:10
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #2
hello when you say a black redish mark do you mean like it has been sucked on or any chance it could have been pecked at
Gerry Gerry
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 10:27
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #3
It Dosnt sound parasitic. What size was the pool and what is it now?. Were the fish housed elswhere whilst the pool changes were made?

Gerry
The Greatest kingdom on earth lies but a few fathoms deep
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 10:39
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #4
HI

to answer both goldy and Gerry, it could look like a bite I suppose but I don't know what from, pond was 300 litres is now nearly 1000. fish were housed in a 100 litre black tub for 3 days whilst I dug and re did pond (borrowed of a neighbour which I washed out first etc). just seems weird that it is on both sides of top fin!

Keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 10:45
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #5
Could he have caught it on something if you have a tub to put him in you could always give him either a salt bath or use some melafix to help heal the soreness, think one of the pondies may be better to advise you on weather to medicate the whole pond or not.
Gerry Gerry
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 11:31
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #6
just to make sure that I haven't missed anything. Since you increased the pool size nothing else has changed. If that is the case then What I always do is start to eliminate the probable.

The problem with tubs is that no matter how stringently you wash them out some residue will always remain. What was in the tub originally.

Check your water Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia, Fish tend to poo a lot more due to the stress of being moved.

If that is ok and the fish seems to be swimming fine then I suggest just monitoring.

If the fish starts behaving in an abnormal manner then I suggest segregation, and a dose of a anti bacterial agent in both areas, taking care to dose only what is advised to the size of your pool & tub

Let me know what happens I will be quite interested as I have quite a few goldfish, and mine all have names as well

The Greatest kingdom on earth lies but a few fathoms deep
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 11:47
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #7
HI

rainwater ws in the tub prior to me using it. fish is swimming fine and does not seem to be hamprered by these marks.

will keep an keep on him over the next few days

keith

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 11:51
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #8
Out of curiosity Keith what does the fish without a name look like as I may be able to name him/her for you if you like or do a thread on names for goldfish what do you think eh
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 12:40
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #9
HI strangley enough the one with no name is the one that has marks on back so im going to call him sick note, like the guy out of londons burning!!!

keith

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2005 13:03