lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/6/2004 14:03
Rena Bio Chem Stars in filter #1
Hi

Was reading my instruction booklet for my Rena Filstar iv1 filter (which is a great little filter!) and saw i can add Bio Chem Stars and Carbon to help with Biological filtration - just wondered if anyone else uses anything similar or if they are any good??

Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/6/2004 14:44
Re: Rena Bio Chem Stars in filter #2
Linsay the Bio-Chem stars or ceramic rings are very good (actually my ceramic things have flat sides similar to the ends of a 50p but are basicly the same, Carbon is suppose to remove odours plus medications from the water so I don't think you really need that.
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/6/2004 15:15
Re: Rena Bio Chem Stars in filter #3
Hi,

Just as an addition to Goldy's comments, carbon in the filter can be a fantastic addition if your water tends to get discoloured by organic pollutants (i.e. turns yellow every now and then), or your tank is exposed on a regular basis to external pollutants such as spray polish, glass cleaner, cigarette smoke etc., etc. It doesn't work for everyone's set-up, however, and always add it to the system little by little if you haven't had it there before.
For some more info on what carbon does and how to use it, check out this page:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/m ... n_activated%20carbon.html

Cheers,
Marc
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/6/2004 16:25
Re: Rena Bio Chem Stars in filter #4
Thanks guys, just been having a look on aquatics-online.co.uk or somewhere?! just wondered if i need a chamber to put them in as the shop sells those to

Don't think i will bother with the carbon for now, but will bear it in mind. I would say the tank isn't really exposed to external pollutants like the ones you mentioned Marc, but it is a bit murky sometimes
Resized Image