5347_474342863f69c.jpg 800X600 px
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/11/2007 9:34
Re: what catfish is this? #2
I had one of these and im supprised nobody knows what they are concidering they seem to be appearing everywhere at the moment. Heres a link with some info on him....

Planet catfish

He is a Pseudobagrus fulvidraco or Tawny Dragon catfish i belive from china. I was sold one of these under the name 'tiger striped catfish' and was given completely the wrong info on him by the garden center that sold him to me and after a couple of years living in a tank he ate all the other fish in just ONE night. I think he got the munchies or something lol. Careful with where you home him because he will take on fish that are larger than him if he feels like it. Also try and home him in a tank that has very light gravel or sand as these cats LOVE to burrow so ive found.
If you could let me know where you got him because i realy want some more of these but i cant find them near me in london! Good luck with him!!!!
skipo skipo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/11/2007 16:11
Re: what catfish is this? #3
what did you feed yours as mine dosnt really seem to be eating much just got it from a local pet shop.
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 23/11/2007 13:14
Re: what catfish is this? #4
I ended up feeding him on sinking catfish pellets, not algae pellets tho as the ones i was using were very high in protein. I figured he was a bit of a preadator/omnivore after his tankmates got munched and if you look at his whiskers they point upwards AND downwards, a sure sign that he prefers to eat insects and small fish that are alive aswell as scavenging.
I also noticed that he wouldnt eat the flaked food and would actualy eat the excreament of other fish either from the bottom or straight from the other fish (ewww) i think this was because he could not feed from the surface and was probably desperate for a feed. The pellets sorted that out and once we got that right he no longer ate poo lol. when he got to about 7inches long my dad was given some caviar by work (god knows why), none of us liked it so i tried feeding it to him and he seemed to love it... expensive way to feed a catfish though lol.
Unfortunatly i cant remember the name of the pellets we used to feed him but i remember the pot was clear with an orange top and the pellets looked like tiny little trout pellets. i know that isnt too much help but if i remember what make they were ill let you know
Oh and i know this may sound a little risky but if all else fails try worms, i know mine liked them to.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 23/11/2007 13:17
Re: what catfish is this? #5
AKA Amur catfish.
What part of London are you in, Wurzel? It's the kind of fish you might get in Wildwoods, Crews Hill or Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnal Green.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
skipo skipo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/11/2007 22:29
Re: what catfish is this? #6
did it eat them while they was sinking or off the bottem?
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 29/11/2007 22:44
Re: what catfish is this? #7
Quote:

skipo wrote:
did it eat them while they was sinking or off the bottem?

He did catch some sinkers but prefered to eat straight from the bottom.

Im pretty much in wimbledon so i can get to almost anywhere you have just mentioned Cathie I realy want to keep some of these cats in a pond in devon as they can tolerate fairly cold temps and it stays fairly warm down in the westcountry in winter. We hardly ever get ponds frozen over down there.
skipo skipo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/12/2007 14:25
Re: what catfish is this? #8
wot fish did it eat as mine is starting to get abit more aggresive