tclancey tclancey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/5/2004 16:47
New pond, new fish, advice please! #1
Hi all, hope someone can help.

We have just built a new pond, 4m by 2m, 2 foot deep at one end up to a shallow end.

We have 6 Shubunkins, a couple of large leaf lilys, several other surface plants and sone under water weed.

We've installed a pump and filter, but the fish don't seem that happy.

They all sit at the bottom hiding, don't move about much and wont come to the surface to feed, this is making it difficult judging the amount of food to go in.

The pond has a PH of just over 7, gravel bottom and loads of rocks and stones.

The fish are probably around a year old.

Are they just getting used to things, or is there something I can do to make them happier?

Cheers,
Tull.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/5/2004 18:10
Re: New pond, new fish, advice please! #2
Hi tclancey and welcome to fishkeeping I have moved this post as I thought it would be better in the pond section and hopefully get the right responce. How long have the fish been in your pond as they could just need time to settle in and once they feel a bit more confident then they should swim up to the surface to eat, what food are you feeding at present does it float or sink, as you could try floating pellets or the likes and see if they attempt to come up to feed, you tested for ph so I take it you know about the nitogen cycle, can I ask what your readings for nitrite, nitrate etc are as this could be a indecation to the fish's behavior.
tclancey tclancey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/6/2004 16:01
Re: New pond, new fish, advice please! #3
I have to admit I haven't tested for anything but PH, please let me know what sort of values I should get.

The fish have been in place for just over a week now. They are lively enough if any surface plants are disturbed so I think they are just settling in, but they do spend most of their time stationary, no movement at all.

The food is a 27% protein general pond fish food, suitable for Koi and others. It floats for a period, then sinks, I've been placing it near the 'water in' pipe so it gets 'dunked', this is the only time the fish will eat it.

I have noticed today that some of the plants, weeds and water warriors are looking fairly nibbled, so their not starving themselves!

There is a little algi building up now, so I've turned on the UV light in the filter, the water is a little cloudy, but I would expect this with a new pond.

We just want happy fish, we'd sooner have no fish than unhappy ones!

If you can think of anything I can try, test, do, please let me know.

Could you please also Email tull@idcodeware.co.uk, I'm very busy at the moment, this Email address will get directly to me.

Cheers,
Tull.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/6/2004 16:26
Re: New pond, new fish, advice please! #4
I would suggest getting a pond test kit or Tetra pond test strips + a test for Ammonia, readings should be Ammonia 0 also nitrite 0 and nitrate under 50 even better under 25 they are the main ones to concentrate on for now. See below:
http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/A000_TETRA_246.html

also this site may be of some: help :http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/water/waterhome.htm