chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/3/2005 7:12
Who says size isnt everything #1
HI guys

finally got round to digging bigger pond yesterday, by my calculations I have gone from a 300 litre (it was only 47"x24"x15") but it was my first attempt and i wanted to see how I got on with it whether i got bored etc.

I now have a depth of 38" and with the new calculations I just tip the 1000 lire mark and i ache from head to foot from digging. Question why does the dirt that comes out of the hole look 10 times more than what the hole is, took 2 hours just to shift the soil!

When i was emptying the pond found a newt (yuk) should i put it back in mine or in the village pond, books dont say much about them (is it doing my pond harm)?

Oh well back to the hole as they say!

have a good easter all of you

chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
TITAN TITAN
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 26/3/2005 9:28
Re: Who says size isnt everything #2
Hello Chuck,you are very fortunate to have found a newt in your area, let alone your pond.If your pond is finished and is generally up and running, leave the newt an inch or two away from the water. Newts spend most of there time on land, but must have access to water to breed.
Putting the newt near a mature village pond would be preferable. It remains to say, are'nt you a lucky bunny.
Regards David.
The main things in my life are my wife, my fish, my dogs, my guitars, and......mother earth.
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 26/3/2005 9:30
Re: Who says size isnt everything #3
"pond found a newt (yuk) should i put it " you lucky ******, I have never seen one, despite rescuing many newt tadpoles from the plant tanks of the local garden centres I have yet to see an adult newt. If ypur pond is a garden pond that it can escape from, keep it, but if a koi pond I would be inclined to put it in the village pond.
Some or one species of newts are protected by law.

Re the volume change in soil I guess it is because its compacted in the ground and all loosened up once you dig it out, personally however I think there is a Tardis in every pond.
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 26/3/2005 10:38
Re: Who says size isnt everything #4
HI Sean

pond only has goldfish in, no koi (not that adventurous yet. pond did well condsidering it was only put in last April.

Keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 26/3/2005 12:21
Re: Who says size isnt everything #5
the dirt looks more cause its compacted when it in the ground but when you take it out it breaks up as you disturb it makeing it have gaps of air within it

as for the newts, ALL of the 3 species of newt in britain are protected which means its actually illegal to move them etc but if the pond has no slopeing sides/places for it to get out then put it in the village pond, but if there are some points for it to exit then put it back as it certainly isnt doing your pond any harm
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/3/2005 12:34
Re: Who says size isnt everything #6
Sounds like you have a very special visitor there if you see it again take a photo to see which one you have Keith
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 27/3/2005 20:23
Re: Who says size isnt everything #7
its called the baulking factor usually 10-25 % increase depending on soil make up. rather than being a slid lump its now loads if irregular lumps.

chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 29/3/2005 8:21
Re: Who says size isnt everything #8
Well its dug, re lined filled with water, planted, new waterfall with old fountain set up, edged with paving slabs all turned on and lit. Fish added one by one slowly just in case they didnt like it and they went dippy, You know when deep sea divers come up too quick and they get the bends when my little babies went to the bottom like it was going to the centre of the earth then came back up like mad and swam round and raound racing like mad, they setttled down after about an hour. Sadly the NEWT has done a runner, left him in a bucket with water and plants for camouflage but he must have got out and has now gone (will he return me thinks to this new serendipity), oh well roll on summer so i can sit my new pond with G & T and ponder the real meaning of life, the alternatiGe meaning of life is of course Corrie Street.

thanks guys for all the advice and help etc but i did notice no one offered to help dig hole and move dirt (LOL)

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/3/2005 11:34
Re: Who says size isnt everything #9
Sounds brilliant I am envious can you post some photos, I will have one one day so then you can give me some tips
boroughmal boroughmal
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From wicklow ireland
  • Posted on: 30/3/2005 19:26
Re: Who says size isnt everything #10
I was thinking about your pond & all the hard work it took ,when I got to thinking about my last project in England. I had got the bug 5 ponds & one indoors when they decided to knock down the petrol station next door to me.
So i dropped the contractor a few bob when they wanted to demolish my perimeter wall and the new pond was born. 44ft long , 4 centrifugal filters & six foot of water.
Only lived there for three years and the new owner demolished the lot & buried it.
So now you got the bug too you will need help from/www.whitehorsecontractors.co.uk. Takes all the hard work out of digging!!
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical