thestripeycat thestripeycat
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/8/2007 18:58
furry slug type of thing #1
Original Image

Every night I sit by the tank, in the dark, trying to spot the creature that clicks. I never see it but find loads of other stuff. I don't know how clear this picture will look, but last night I found this hairy slug type of thing slowly creeping into a rock.

What on earth is it?

It had feelers at the front and the top part of it's body had the look of a large irredesent louse, with the lower part of the body looking like a furry slug.
Original Image
smarttony smarttony
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 21/8/2007 19:08
Re: furry slug type of thing #2
the picture is quite small but i know when fireworm retract back into the rock when they sense danger because of the light(and when I'm around) they look just like that contracting all it body quickly back into the hole. I could be wrong but next time as they come back from the same hole have the light dimmer almost dark and watch it come out more then u have a better description and if it is a fireworm send for the "fireworm terminator"(me)
Original ImageOriginal ImageOriginal Image
Original Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 21/8/2007 21:30
Re: furry slug type of thing #3
Hmmmm....

I've just googled fire worms and it doesn't look like one! This thing really was the size and shape of a fat slug. By the time I got the camera out it and taken the photo it had retreated into the rock and you can only see the back end of its furry back end in the photo. It was quite slow moving.

However I do have at least 2 fireworms as I saw them in other parts of the tank during another night watch. Are fireworms bad?

I still don't know what clicks, but if i got upto the tank it stops, so the booger must be watching me.
Original Image
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/8/2007 0:43
Re: furry slug type of thing #4
this looks familiar... i've seen this recently, but i cant remember where... I came across a page with a whole slew of live rock inhabitants and im sure i saw a photo of something similar... now i need to find it again
Safety tip 1: Water + Electricty = ZAP
skymonkey skymonkey
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 22/8/2007 18:10
Re: furry slug type of thing #5
The clicking will most likely be a pistoll shrimp. Does it click more after you have fed the fish? In my 5'2'2 i had a pistol shrimp which clicked when i fed the fish as it tryed to stun the frozen food. It also clicked when stuff scared it and every know and then anyway. It was about half an inch long and perfectly see through except its large claw. It never caused any saught of problem and they generally dont. Mine came in on live rock and i found it by pure fluke a long time after i first heard the clicking. The only other thing it could be is the thermostat in the heater some older bimetalic thermostats can click when they turn on.
Mantis shrimps are smashing.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 22/8/2007 18:29
Re: furry slug type of thing #6
I have resigned myself to it being a pistol, but I just want to see it. I'm becomming obsessed!

I've looked at some clips of the pistol and the mantis on youtube (the mantis clips gave me nightmares) and the ones on there all come out.

I'll probably obsess less over this when I get some fish to watch. I only have a firefish to look at (theres a clown fish to but he only ever swims high up in a corner, so he's not much to watch). My poor Wrasse lept through of a tiny hole in the lighting unit and died. Even worse I was sat near the tank, wondering what the strange noise coming from the tank was. I though there was air bubble or something in the filter tube. The next day I noticed a terrible smell coming from the tank and notice the wrass wasn't about.

I found the poor thing baked in the light unit. I feel terrible that if I had investigated the noise more, I would have found and saved it.
Original Image
Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/8/2007 21:21
Re: furry slug type of thing #7
It looks like a stomatella, I have 2-3 in my tank. They're not nasty in fact quite the opposite, they keep algae down etc but do no harm to anything. they have a small shell on their back looks a bit like a small finger nail but the rest looks fuzzy with 2 little antennae at the front, one of mine is huge and it came in on the very 1st piece of LR I bought, the other 2 are much smaller but are growing rapidly. Good things to have in your tank
karen
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 22/8/2007 22:51
Re: furry slug type of thing #8
By jove! You may be right. I've just googled images and a couple are very similar. I wasn't so sure when you said they have a shell, but I do remember thinking the top looked firm & reminded me of the shape of a woodlouses back, only this is white.

I want to identify all my creatures before I think about corals.

I've got the room in complete darkness at the moment so I'm hoping I might get a look at something tonight. I got a glimpse of my rogue crab today in a crevase, it doesn't move like a crab though, more like a spider. I found a site with loads of pictures of reef life so I'm hoping if I get a better look I will be able to identify some stuff!
Original Image