carpy carpy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/8/2007 20:05
blood parrots #1
hi ive got a 400 litre tank with tinfoil barbs,silver sharks,tigar barbs and a few sordtails i like to add blood parrots to my tank will they go with my fish i already got in the tank
beeky beeky
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 20/8/2007 14:24
Re: blood parrots #2
I don't know much about about blood parrots. In fact, not many people do as they are quite a new man-made fish, created from various species of cichlids, the recipe being a closely guarded secret. You can see this from their bizarre shape and difficulty in swimming quickly - nature wouldn't have made them this way.

They are supposed to be fairly peaceful though so should be OK, just remember that underneath they are still cichlids.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/8/2007 15:15
Re: blood parrots #3
I would read plenty about them before you decide on them, you may find that you disagree with the ethics of producing these fish (as many fishkeepers do). Have a read of this article- http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... rticle.php?article_id=331 and see what you think.

Your sharks and tinfoils should be OK with them but I might worry about the tiger barbs and swordtails. How much space do you have? Don't forget the sharks and tinfoils will get really big.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/8/2007 15:40
Re: blood parrots #4
personally i try and avoid man made hybrid fish... parrots are so unatural they cant reproduce, they are a bit like mules of the fish world. i dont like any fish that has been interfered with, just think of the people you are supporting by buying their creations... its in the same category as dying fish...
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
beeky beeky
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 20/8/2007 16:34
Re: blood parrots #5
I don't like them either, but then many platies have been messes around with and are hybrids of various Xiphorous species to get the colours and tail patterns and IMO, fancy goldfish are ugly mutants as well.
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 24/8/2007 14:01
Re: blood parrots #6
although not my cup of tea Parrots get pretty big and bulky and as mentioned are relatively peaceful as cichlids go.
My concerns would be for the swordtails and in particular your sharks. IMO they are too sensitive and touchy to be kept with large cichlids I don't see it as a good mix.
It is a good size tank so use your common sense vis a vis water levels if you get them so keep on top of your maintenance. Big messy fish = big messy nitrate levels.
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!