Hypnopoison Hypnopoison
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From South Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/3/2005 16:40
Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #1
Hi all

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

One of my Zebra Danios has got one small red spot on his back just behind his head. With him being so small and moves around an awful lot its hard to get a good close look at him.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Hole in the head or a external bacterial infection maybe?

The water conditions are fine.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.5

This fish has just recovered from black spot/pepper spot.

Cheers :)
Anonymous  
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #2
Below is a quick reference guide to common health problems.

Physical Symptoms Probable Cause(s)
Small white spots on the fins or skin. Ichthyophthirius - White spot
Very fine peppery coating on the fins or skin, usually yellowish and moving. Oodinium - Velvet
Grey or white fluffy patches on the skin Saprolegnia or Achlya - fungus
Grey or white fluffy patches around the mouth. Chondrococcus columnaris - mouth fungus
Pale appearance as if beneath the skin. Plistophora - "neon disease"
Black to red nodules beneath the skin. Metacercariae (digenetic flukes)
White to dark nodules beneath the skin. Cestoda (tapeworm larvae)
Milky cloudiness on the surface of the skin. Costia, Chilodonella, Trichodina or even pH too extreme.
Red streaks on the skin or fins Red pest (bacterial)
Destruction of tail or fins. Tail or fin rot (bacterial)
Ulcerated patches on skin. Ichthyosporidium or Red Pest
Yellow or black nodules on skin or below it. Ichthyosporidium
Emaciation, hollow belly, possibly sores. Hexamita - Tuberculosis
Protrusion of the scales, with bloated body. Aeromonas - Dropsy
Protrusion of the scales, often reddish, body normal. Infection of scales and skin (bacterial)
Pop-eye (exophthalmus) Gas embolism, copper poisoning, various diseases.
Cloudiness of the eyes, even blindness Toxins, severe white spot, or velvet.
Holes in head, ulceration of the lateral line. Hexamita - Tuberculosis
Crustaceans on skin. Argulus, Ergasilus, ect.
Flukes visible on skin or gills. Gyrodactylus, ect.
Worms hanging from anus Nematoda
Nodular white swellings on fins or body. Lymphocystis (a virus); Glugea or Henneguya (sporozoans)
Spinal deformation Genetic, vitamin deficiency, calcium deficiency, tuberculosis, Ichthyosporidium.
Behavioural Symptoms Probable Cause(s)
Glancing off rocks or plants Velvet or white spot or toxins
Fins clamped Velvet or white spot or toxins
Sluggish movements, loss of balance Trypanoplasma (sleeping sickness), tank too cold, possibly other diseases.
Severe loss of balance, even belly up. Swim bladder disease.
Gasping at surface. Oxygen deficiency, carbon dioxide excess, tank too hot, toxins.
Jumping out of water, sudden dashes. Wrong pH, toxins
Unusual coloration, particularly if dark. Ichthyosporidium, toxins
Anonymous  
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #3
I wonder if its a sore or wound rather than a spot, di
Hypnopoison Hypnopoison
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From South Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 4/3/2005 14:50
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #4
Fishyfeet to my rescue as always

It could well be a cut to be honest. With him being so small its hard to tell and he's so active.

I'm going to keep an eye on him and see how it goes.

Anonymous  
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #5
have you tried adding a little salt, there is a interesting page on salt in this month pfk, it needs a suprising low amount to be added to the aquarium to keep fish in good condition, or you could try some melafix as well, as a good natural remedy for just about all kinds of ailments, and it can be added just as a general tonic, that would stop any kind of infection, if you have any tee tree oil around, or health shops nearby you can make your own, I can find you the dosage, as melifix is SUPPOSED to be just tee tree oil and distilled water, think it may also contain something to prevent it going ransid. I would also keep a close eye on your water conditions as its not gonna take a lot for an infection to set in, so clean water, something to protect the sore, salt, tee tree oil, or both, watch dosages and other fish, could you isolate him easily, ?? let me know, di
Anonymous  
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #6
Quote:

Hypnopoison wrote:
Fishyfeet to my rescue as always

It could well be a cut to be honest. With him being so small its hard to tell and he's so active.

I'm going to keep an eye on him and see how it goes.

lol thanks hypno

Its just that i had never heard of red spots, or seen any, so i went on a quest in search of the red spot disease, and still found nothing, but i do remember when my gourami had a sore it looked like all sorts of things, spots, fungus, etc, and you cant get the fish out and have good look, can you??? Hope it heals up, you do need to treat it with some thing like, salt, tee tree oil, to prevent it getting infected. Was the wound done accidently, by grazeing it on a rock, have you sharp objects or was it attached. di
Hypnopoison Hypnopoison
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From South Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 5/3/2005 11:05
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #7
Hi

I'm not sure how he did it. Just noticed it at feeding time one day.

Funnily enough my mum does aromatherapy and has got Tea Tree oil. I think I'll give it a go. I've got aquarium salt too. Any idea on how much I should put in or where I can find out how much to put in? I have a 30L tank, only a little one :)

I am adding a course of Esha 2000 at the moment as it said it was good for wounds etc and also I have new addition who I think may have a bit of fin rot. I've finally got Bruce the Siamese Fighter :)

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated as always
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/3/2005 11:45
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #8
Hello there I would see how you go on with the eSHa 2000 first as that should be enough on its own with maybe some aquarium salt, as for your betta, have you got that in quarentine or in your main tank
Anonymous  
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #9
yes do the esha treatment and the salt, then remove the esha with a carbon pad, the salt will still be there, and you can back it up with some tee tree oil afterwoods, i need to find out the doses, actually my bottle needs refilling so i will do that and post the dosage needed. di
Anonymous  
Re: Red Spot on Zebra Danio ... #10
Remind me what fish you have again as some as salt intollerant, mainly tetras and catfish, di