ssmith ssmith
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/5/2004 20:25
cotton wool like fungus on koi #1
I've tried putting in the fungal treatments in the pond water several times over the last year but it does'nt seem to make any difference. Each year the Koi grows but so does the cotton wool growths all over his face and back. Do you think I should try a topical formalin gel?? THANK YOU
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/5/2004 22:10
Re: cotton wool like fungus on koi #2
Hello ssmith and welcome to fishkeeping Sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with fungus, I can imagine its not very nice, I am not a pond keeper just yet (but it is on the cards) and so not really the right person to advise you right now but hopefully one of the others will be able to do that soon.
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/5/2004 22:28
Re: cotton wool like fungus on koi #3
Hi,
Have you tested your pond's water? It would be helpful to get an idea of the water quality, as this is usually the problem when successive treatments for a disease do not work. The fish cannot fight off the infection if it is stressed by water that is high in organic waste matter or other pollutants, so if you can get hold of a Master Test Kit for ponds (one that has tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH at least) and get these readings, then we will have a starting point and hopefully find a solution.
Marc
ssmith ssmith
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/5/2004 21:51
Re: cotton wool like fungus on koi #4
I think the waters OK,the Koi has grown from 4 inches to nearly 12inches over the last 2 years and 2 other smaller koi and orf seem very well. It's just nothing seems to improve the fungus it keeps growing, so I wondered if anyone had tried topical formalin-they seem to sell it in our fishkeeping shop (and it did work wonders on my sons athletes foot a few years ago!) The trouble is I know if you put it in the pond it destroys all the bacteria (which would upset the water quality) so I wondered about a gel??
hectorsgaf hectorsgaf
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 15/5/2004 8:09
Re: cotton wool like fungus on koi #5
Hi there, new to this site. Have been asked by Goldie to answer this. Hopefully she will post the reply as I have to rush out now. If not will check later and re type.
hectorsgaf hectorsgaf
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 15/5/2004 17:42
Re: cotton wool like fungus on koi #6
Cotton wool disease is caused by poor or sudden change in water conditions. When asked if the water was OK SSmith answered "Ithink so". I suggest he / she checks it.. Local supplier should give them an anti bacterial infection remedy . Best to isolate the fish and treat. Starts as whitish tufts around the mouth then spreads to fins and body. Can lead to ulcers.

It maybe that the water conditions are ok as they say the orfe are fine. Orfe are sensitive and are usually the first to turn their fins up at poor water quality. It may sound horrid but that is why I have Orfe in my pond ( albeit =I do like them as well!!!). It is a bit like having a canary in a cage down a coal mine.
If the water is OK then it sounds like the fish may have been stressed.