peter peter
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/8/2003 20:35
Goldfish going pale #1
My goldfish have been in their pond for approx. 3 Years. They were introduced from a reputable aquatics dealer at around an inch long, along with some shebunkins. The first thing we noticed, was the following year, one of the goldfish had turned jet black. I believe that this is the colour of very young goldfish, so put it down to its having 'reverted'. The fish are now around three to four inches long but one of them has started to turn white! I noticed it at the beginning of the year, with small white patches. Thinking it may be white - spot I kept a close eye on it, but there is no sign of any ill health or fungal growth. It is as lively as any of the other fish. It has got ot the stage now, where it is almost all white, with a few gold scales on its back and the head is still gold. Another one seems to be starting with the same patches. I've also noticed that one of the shebunkins seems to be going pale, losing that bright vibrant colouring that they have. Again, all the fish feed well and seem to have plenty of energy, so I'm wondering what's wrong? Can anyone help please?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/4/2004 15:59
Re: Goldfish going pale #2
I have comet goldfish (in a large tank) that was yellow now 4 years later it has turned completely white and is lovely and healthy, I have another fish like you that looks like it is changing to white too, I am not quite sure why they do this, some times they change with age but as the fish in question are not that old (to me anyway) it could have something to do with the water ph etc if anyone knows any other reason why they change please let us know
hectorsgaf hectorsgaf
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/5/2004 8:47
Re: Goldfish going pale #3
Some fish will change colour like this. A couple of months ago I persuaded a friend to give me a 'fairground' goldie that was too large for its 'bowl'.Ugh!!!!!

Put it in the pond where it has now learnt to swim properly. Noticed a few weeks ago it turned black all over its head. The head has now gone back to gold but the whole fish has gone a more yellow colour.

Time of year will also effect some fish as they get fruity and prepare to get 'their fins over!!!'
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/6/2004 11:37
Re: Goldfish going pale #4
Have just came across this and it could explain a lot:

My fish are changing colour
A fairly common situation arises when fish literally change colour, either all over or just parts of the body. The most common situation is when previously coloured fish turn white. Fish skin colouring is a complex subject. Fish skin contains different types of pigment cells or chromatophores, which are under the control of the hormonal and nervous systems.

Fish which are diseased often change colour, but this is usually a fading/darkening/dulling of the skin rather than an actual colour change. There are a few conditions in which there is a colour change but these are rare.

The most common causes are either nutritional deficiencies, so one could try a change of diet, water chemistry such as pH or hardness, or simply genetics.

In virtually all cases the fish appear perfectly healthy apart from the colour change and eat and swim normally. So apart from perhaps changing the diet and checking water parameters there is nothing that can be done to reverse the colour change.

As a thought, it might be a little upsetting if your goldfish becomes a whitefish, but pity the koi owner who has paid several hundred pounds (or dollars) because of the fish's perfect colours / pattern, simply to watch the colour and patterns disappear!!!!