beeky beeky
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 14:27
Water changes #1
It's a bit of a basic question, but how do people do their water changes?

I've got two tanks and for each of them when I get my bucket of water up to temperature I hold them above the tank while I siphon the water out, hopefully avoiding a mouthful.

As this is quite slow (but good for the arm muscles), I was wondering about getting a big bucket/bin on the floor, filling it up and using a small powerhead to pump the water up into the tank. Any thoughts?
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 14:36
Re: Water changes #2
I tried recently with a small powerhead I had spare and then realised it only had the power to manage a 70cm head. So even placing the bucket on a table level with the tank meant it managed less at 30L/hr.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to sort something out though.
Deuce Deuce
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 21:40
Re: Water changes #3
On our service visits we use 25l water containers for water changes, providing you can lift them under control it makes it quite easy to tip the water in without spilliage, takes about 20 secs to pour in 25l smoothly so you do need to be able to hold it for that long lol. On some of our bigger tanks we change about 300 litres a week and we tried using a pump system but in the end it was just easier to build up a sweat and arm muscles by lugging it by hand lol.

Dont use a bucket, use a camping tub or similar with a screwtop.

take a look at this one below, we change 200 litres a fortnight and I have to carry it all up a ladder! the tank is 8ft above floor level..

Resized Image
If you thought what I said was useful go here www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk and buy some cheap stuff from my mail order site to save money! - Because thats also useful.
hoopdaddy hoopdaddy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gwent
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 22:21
Re: Water changes #4
I do the same as beeky, hold bucket above tank and siphon out with my gravel vac. I use an old blow up bed foot pump though to start the suction by attaching the hose to the part that sucks the air in. Makes it a little easier but still takes a while.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 22:35
Re: Water changes #5
I use a small ehiem external pump when i do water changes, cost me about 50-60 squid and it was well worth it, the only problem is ive still got to lug it around the house, which im ok with its just after youve had a hard way working and you just cant be bothered
local_boy local_boy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 23:58
Re: Water changes #6
Dedicated bucket & jug
Alan...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 3/8/2007 7:53
Re: Water changes #7
Someone needs to come up with a self priming pump that can raise the water a good 1.5-2meters and has an auto-cutoff when it runs dry.
peediepixie peediepixie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From Orkney
  • Posted on: 3/8/2007 8:45
Re: Water changes #8
I use a syphon to take the water out and clean the gravel with at the same time. To put the fesh water in I simply tip the bucket in, trying to get it to hit the glass lip if the tank which means it doesn't dislodge plants etc as it falls in more spread out
Resized Image