sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 8:48
Ghost Koi.. #1
Hi

We have been away for the weekend and came home to find one of our larger fish dead at the side of the pond. We have a large frame and net as I am a childminder, however there is a small gap where the plants sit in the water. The fish obviously jumped out here? There was no sign of the fish being eaten he was perfect...but very dead and dried out.

Do ghost koi have a habit of doing this? The only reason I ask is that I bought a pair of these last year, the other one jumped out onto the stones last summer and scraped itself really badly.

Thanks

sarah x

ps, we have removed the plants and have replaced the net to cover the whole pond, Frogs arn't please though! (they can still get in and out!)
Deuce Deuce
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 8:54
Re: Ghost Koi.. #2
All pond fish have a habbit of jumping when they are newly intoduced although orfe are by far the worse.

Also things like air pressure changes can make fish jump, so before or after a storm for example. But realistically any fish will plash out of the water occasionaly for no particular reason, if it is right next to the pond there is also the possibility a cat flipped it out..

I wouldnt worry about it but maybe keep an eye out for cats
If you thought what I said was useful go here www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk and buy some cheap stuff from my mail order site to save money! - Because thats also useful.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 9:48
Re: Ghost Koi.. #3
i doubt it was a cat as there was no damage as IME you still get claw marks, even if its just very torn fins from where the cat has played with it

but as deuce said, all fish jump, it may have been spooked or again as said the air pressure sends them nuts
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 21:38
Re: Ghost Koi.. #4
As both draginlord and deuce has said the fish could of jumped out due to the low pressure, rather it could also down to parasites, spawning or even it has been suggested fish might jump to communicate. What ever it is, you've covered the gap and just keep an eye on the rest of the fish
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/8/2007 8:13
Re: Ghost Koi.. #5
have you tested your water, its also possible,(although a long shot), that it jumped to get away from something it didnt like.
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/8/2007 7:06
Re: Ghost Koi.. #6
Waters purfect as always I just wish the tropical tank inside was as hassle free!

I'm just about to half the population in there in order to add more Koi. The Local Koi place has offered to take them, hopefully they will ofset them against a koi.

Sarah x