chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/2/2005 18:42
Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #1
HI

In all the books and websites it says before the frosty season approaches draing pumps and filters and store in a dry place etc etc etc, don't run pumps in the winter and all very good sound advice. Now here's the question - my neighbour has a preformed pond which he has had for years and has left his pump and filter running for the last three years (it has never been turned off), his water is crystal clear, his fish are thriving and he has never suffered any losses to fish or equipment. In fact he does everything opposite to what the 'text' books say to do. So who's right or is this one of those things that there are no rights and wrongs one just takes pot luck on the outcome of your choice. Plus he doesn't have the mither of having to retract all his electrical cabling underground and re cabling at the start of each new pond season which i find a right palavour.

So guys its over to you for your thoughts!!!!

Sam

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 21/2/2005 19:06
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #2
leave filters and pumps on or the bacteria will die as a pond is just a tank that is bigger and gets cold in winter the nieghbour is correct
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
stevied stevied
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 21/2/2005 19:13
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #3
Hi Sam
I agree in all books etc they do say take pump out for the winter
But I have never turned my pump off in approx 8 years ?
Never had a problem although pond has lightly frozen over once, but melted during the day.
Must tell you some facts about present pond approx 3500 gals 4foot deep one rising to 2foot deep nother end.
In the past I had a sump pump within the pond present type is bottom drain by gravity and still no problems.
As for cabling every year ? I would advise running Steel Wired Armoured cable to an ip65 enclosure then using a ip55 splashproof socket and plug to the pump ( similar to the type you have for a touring caravan ) all is available at your nearest electrical wholesaler or I think bradshaws do a kit www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk but this should always be protected by a RCD some people call it a ELCB. Although this cable is awkward to make off the ends you may know an electrician who could give you a hand.
I used this on my last pond for about 5 years with no problems also used these for my garden lights. The beauty of this is that you can take the plugs out at any time for maintenance or to store for the winter ( I mean the lights )
Hope this helps

Steve
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 22/2/2005 11:03
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #4
I leave my pump & filter in service thru' the winter, in the summer the pump is set deep,this ensures a good circulation for all the pond water. When winter approaches i lift the pump to a higher position in the pond, this ensures that the water at the bottom of the pond does not become to "chilled"
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/2/2005 21:57
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #5
Most garden ponds are too shallow for a thermocline to occur so the temperature of the water will be the same top or bottom regardless of the pump cycling the water.

We used to leave the pump/biofilter running all year round with no problems. As long as the pump is deep enough so as not to have ice form aroundit i.e deeper than 6 inchs and the flow rate is fast enough so as to not freeze solid then theres not going to be a problem.
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 25/2/2005 19:31
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #6
I am pump off-er etc, my pond has shelves at 1ft, 2ft and the bottom at 4ft, 1300 UK gal and 100++ goldfish, last winter I took note of the behaviour of the fish and they spent a lot of the time below 2ft. My pond froze over last winter to a depth of 2" for a period of at least 2 days with out apparent harm. I think the bacteriological action that would take place in a filter during winter is minimal.
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 25/2/2005 21:22
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #7
Oh yes im not saying the biofilter actually did anything but as most pumps feed into it and then back into the pond I would assume most would not bother to disconect it or reroute the water hence the mention.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/2/2005 21:25
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #8
This is all very interesting to me, as I hope to have my own pond one day soon and will have to deal with all this stuff then
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 26/2/2005 12:10
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #9
Ponds are great, Id love to have a place that you could do a natural clay lined pond/lake (probably why I spend half my life sat next to them fishing!) with loads of marginals and heavily planted herbacaous borders. Looks stunning in summer. Stock it with tench, carp, rudd.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/2/2005 12:37
Re: Over wintering - whats right and whats wrong! #10
Think I will stick to my goldfish thanks but does sound nice and would be great if you had plenty of land