(1) 2 »
Berserker Berserker
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/7/2007 0:50
Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #1
I dunno what it is but I think it's been resident in my pond since last year... Maybe it just comes and goes, I don't know but I'm happy for it to be there as long as it doesn't have any ill effect on my fish.

Does anyone know if by changing water or using dechlorinator in the water when refilling harm or negatively affect frogs/toads? I do notice the little amphibian from time to time, maybe two - three times in the past couple of years and providing it wont have any major affect on my fish, I'm happy for it to stay.

I also found eggs which (definitely not frog spawn) like snail eggs are white little dots surrounded by a viscous jelly like substance (getting a bit like Alien ressurection here) but bigger than the snail eggs I sometimes get in my tropical tank. I have had what I believe to be common horned snails in my pond and I've just passed these eggs off as being snails staging a comeback but now I'm not so sure.

Any ideas?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/7/2007 8:58
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #2
Hi Berserker, they do sounds like snail eggs. Dechlorinator should not cause any problems to frogs or toads, they will probably prefer it to chlorine Frogs aren't as fussy as fish because they don't spend their whole lives in the water. If he doesn't like it he'll soon let you know by getting out but if the water's good for the fish then it should be OK for the frog.
MartinIBrown MartinIBrown
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 16/7/2007 15:04
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #3
Hi Berserker, about the frogs, on the day after I first filled my new pond (last year), I had not added any dechlorinator to the water just straight from the tap, there was at least one frog in the pond the next morning. There has been frogs in it ever since and the fish even enjoyed the tadpoles this year. they just waited for them to swim out of the plant basket, and that was the end of them. So I wouldn't bother to much about the frogs
Martin
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/7/2007 2:28
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #4
Frogs are definatly not harmful to fish, ive had fish and frogs living side by side since i was a small child and neither have caused the other any fuss. Except maybe most of the tadpoles being eaten by the fish but i suppose you cant argue with free food! Try and give the frogs and toads a place to hide like some bits of wood or some rocks to hide under when they are out of the pond. If your feeling realy adventurous you could use half a wooden barrel upturned with some holes cut where the edges meet the floor so the frogs ect can get under it. This may help to attract more frogs or toads and if your lucky even newts! All these animals spend some of their time out of the water and providing them with a habitat that can support them will result in you having alot more than just fish to watch. Best bit is they are free! By encouraging them you are doing a major bit to help keep our naitive anphibians off the endangered speicies list and your contributing alot to the biodiversity of your area..... but I'll quit before i go all sciency on you lol. The main point is theyre fun to watch and an eco freindly way of keeping slugs at bay! They're better there than not
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/7/2007 11:02
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #5
toads and newts are great, and most of the time frogs are harmless, but if you do get frogs then keep a close eye on them as in breeding season the males clasp onto anything they can reach, even fish, this isn't a myth as it happened in my pond with a frog and a 12" golden orfe, they get their "hands" into the fish's gills and you literally have to pry the things out else you'll lose the fish that got clasped
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Berserker Berserker
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 17/10/2007 6:58
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #6
Thanks everybody!! Sorry it's taken me aaages to get back in touch, even if anyone else comes back to visit this thread.. I haven't seen much of my frog/toad but a few months ago he was SOOO vocal it was quite amazing.. So the next day I constructed a sort of ledge that should allow him to get in and out with more ease.. I've not seen him around much as of late but here's hoping he returns..

I'd love to invite some newts into my pond too though I think it'd be nothing short of a mircale if they managed to find their way in since my garden is sort of stepped and fenced etc i'm surprised even the frog managed it.. We'll see though..
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 17/10/2007 20:22
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #7
id love newts we had sum in our old pond but that wasnt maintained it was just a hole in the ground with pond fish like rudd and such in

and when we cleaned it one day there were 3 newts in it

typical when u dont bother u get the things u want but when you maintain it and keep your water clear the thinkgs u want dont come .....if thatmakes any sense :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 17/10/2007 20:33
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #8
I love frogs, they rock! I can't find the pic now, but I have seen a pic of a frog with a goldfish in it's clutches during mating season. As frogs assume that position for days on end , if an over zealous frog should fancy a fish, the fish inevitably drowns....

Dont think it happens often though.

If you scroll down to 'Health' I think, there is a small bit about it here:
http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/0210.html

We had frogs in our pond and never saw this but it can happen apparently!
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 17/10/2007 20:36
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #9
i used to have a pond for just frogs and taddys but we had to get rid to fit our new pond in but they are more than welcome to hop in for a swin we have had a few in the new pond but no fish humping as of yet lol
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 17/10/2007 20:39
Re: Wee toad or possibly a Frog? #10
pmsl @ 'fish-humping'.....sorry....