(1) 2 »
cooky cooky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 9:21
HERON PROBLEM #1
Hi guys

Just a quickie - is there any 100% effective heron deterents out there?

We have now got a daily visiting heron - that has so far only managed to take our beloved sterlet - but we are paranoid now that the rest of our fish will go - as it is coming back everyday now.

We have got a scarecrow, trip wires and a decoy heron - we have now purchased a water sprayer that detects movement up to 35 feet - but we are reluctant to use this as we do not want to soak the wildlife that already live in the garden quite harmlessly.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Kath
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 9:56
Re: HERON PROBLEM #2
Here's some advice from the RSPB- http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardeni ... heronsandponds/herons.asp

I wouldn't worry about soaking the other wildlife, they probably won't mind

The only 100% deterrent I can think of is an irish wolf hound but a combination of a few other deterrents should work OK.
cooky cooky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 10:47
Re: HERON PROBLEM #3
Hi Caz

Thanks for that

We have a Great Dane - but when him and the heron came face to face on Saturday morning - I dont know who flew the highest!!!

I will have a look at the link - and hoepfully the flaming thing will get bored of trying to find them - now we have created a lot more hiding places for them (just that we can't find them either now - so you get paranoid thinking that the heron's got them anyway)

If only fishkeeping was simple lol

Thanks again - Kath
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 10:55
Re: HERON PROBLEM #4
No worries! Aw, I love danes Hope the heron stays away!
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 15:34
Re: HERON PROBLEM #5
Two Good options for herons.

1 Net over the pond. Very effective but so nice to look at.

2 String some fishing line around the pond at a couple of levels up to about 18 inches. Herons need to land on land and ten move to the water,so this will help get the bloody thing away from your fish.

Of course you can always ask thelocal farmer to borrow his 12 bore....... Mind you herons are protected. Sods!!!
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
CosmoKing CosmoKing
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Avon
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 15:43
Re: HERON PROBLEM #6
What my ex-friends dad did was to put a large, black plastic box into the water. He put it upside down and drilled a fairly large hole on each side, so the fish could swim in there. (They had a heron coming like constantly trying to kill their fish) It worked, because after the box was installed, the bloody thing didnt manage to take anymore fish because as soon as they saw it they swam straight into the box.
juice79 juice79
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 17:44
Re: HERON PROBLEM #7
Have you heard that Herons are lonely birds and fly and hunt by themselfs. so If you by a plastic life size heron and put him by the edge of your pond it should keep the real ones away.

Its works with seagulls if you use a life size owl so why shouldn't it work with herons.
Emma
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/7/2007 17:59
Re: HERON PROBLEM #8
Apparently they have cottoned on to this trick so it is not fool proof
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/7/2007 11:06
Re: HERON PROBLEM #9
I hate to say it but plastic herons DO NOT WORK! If anything ours seemed to attract more herons! One that visited our garden tried to mate with it! And another tried to fight it! It may work in some areas but here they are either wise to it or just dont care. My old nextdoor neighbor kept some very expensive koi in his pond and tried everything inclucing stringing up fishing line over his entire garden like a nylon roof but this diddnt work either as the damn bird just went next door and hopped over the fence. It then hopped over the fishing line roud the ponds edge and balenced on a plant pot in the pond! Herons are very clever birds and will find a way around almost anything. The water cannon idea is a great one and i have to say it does work but if theres a hosepipe ban it could be a problem.....
The only other thing ive seen is a tripwire system round the pond linked to a kind of cap gun and some plastic eyes. When the heron hits the wire it sets off a bang and flashes a big pair of eyes that scare it off. This worked untill the damn birds worked it out!
I think its goin to be a constant battle for u im afraid!
Hope u find somethig that helps!!!!!!
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/7/2007 18:57
Re: HERON PROBLEM #10
So back to that shot gun........
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!