juice79 juice79
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 9:33
sickness! #1
Ahh, got some real problems with my 80ltr tank. I spotted some white spot with some fin rot present too a week ago. And treated with British King white spot treatment for 4 days then did a water change 15% and carried on treating for a further 4 days. As well as this I have had swollen eye on 1 of my Red Rams. So LFS suggested using melafix. So I've been treating tank with it for 5 days now.

In that time I have lost 2 male guppies, 2 lamp eyes which looked very healthy. 1 female gupppy which looked a bit sick.

I'm now left with 2 ruff looking guppies and swollen eye doesn't seem to be improving. 1 of my platys sits at the top of the tank fanning tail and a few guppies seem to pick at it's gills every now and a again. Which causes the platy to swim on his side for a moment.

Really don't know what else I can do. As I have 4 clown loaches and a para de rio pleco that a really don't want to lose, these fish have always looked healthy and still do.

Oh and this morning a carried out a 25% water change.

Please help!!
Emma
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 10:36
Re: sickness! #2
What are the readings for nitrIte, ammonia and nitrAte?

The clown loaches will need a bigger tank soon.....around a 5ft tank.

How many fish are in the tank now altogether?
Resized Image
juice79 juice79
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 13:23
Re: sickness! #3
I haven't done reading today as i have done a 25% water change but will check readings tomorrow when all has settled. As for new tank i am in the market for 1 in a month or so. Just have to deside which one!

Tank contains 4 clown loaches, 1 para de rio pleco, 3 platys, 2 guppies, 4 white clouds, 1 1/2 red rams.
Emma
reander reander
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 15:32
Re: sickness! #4
if there is fin rot present as well could be down to water quality.

I always found using Interpet anti white spot plus works a treat, and it doesn't seem to affect my clown loaches even at a full dose, but saying that, i'm not advising using it at a full dose. You could also try Protozin which is good.

But i'd do a water test asap and see what's going on with that.
Resized Image
juice79 juice79
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 23:45
Re: sickness! #5
White spot does seem to of cleared up. Just worried about swollen eye, (pop eye). Looks really bad now and looks like he's gonna lose it. Don't know what to do for the best?

First thing tomorrow i will do water levels before I treat with melafix and see whats up or down.

Many thanks,
Emma