chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/7/2007 17:50
WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #1
HI

planning to clean pond out tomorrow if it ever stops raining, pond filter is blocking every few hours as it is dragging that much muck in and it is about 2 foot from the bottom of pond (supported on mesh shelf) and i need the pond to be as clean as possible as i am away for a few days and if i leave it the filter will be thoroughly choked etc.

now on top of my plants in the baskets i have small pebbles covered in green algae, what is the best thing to clean them with, i am tempted to boil them in bleach (ok i got a cleaning obsessive complulsion disorder) so before i get the bleach bottle out what is the best way to clean these pebbles as i want them all shiny and new looking.

regards

by the way the five new babies i have bred are doing really well, they obviously like a clean pond.

keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/7/2007 18:43
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #2
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
No bleach!

Try a jet wash.

By the way if the pump was on the bottom then the muck wouldnt build up as much. you would still need to clean your filter on a regular basis, but fortnightly insead of evey hour or two.
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 2/7/2007 18:45
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #3
If you've got a Pond Vac just wack that in, that'll suck all the dirt out. If you dont..Get one ;).
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 2/7/2007 23:12
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #4
erm i was actually joking about the bleach aspect

ive got a pond vac but it dont do it as good as i like

cheers

keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 8:37
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #5
re putting filter on bottom of pond i thought i had read that if you put it at the bottom it was worse and that it needed being supported above the base of the pond?

keith

gawdi gawdi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 11:19
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #6
My pump is raised about 4 inches off the pond bottom.... this seems to work quite well and it doesnt drag all the sludge into the filter..........

I've got a pond vac - but not overly impressed - but will use it again in conjunction with a water chage...
mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 13:57
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #7
I suppose it depends on your pump. Mine is a solids handling job so I out it on the bottom and helps to clear all the mess out.

However if its one with a pre filter mess thingy on it it would clog rather quickly and would be better off the bottom and used just to move water.
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 16:02
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #8
Quick tip which I used in my last pond:

I bought a Pond Vac for 16.99, one of those hosepipe powered ones. I removed the end which creates the suction and fixed it to the bottom of my pump.

I connected a hose from the top of my pump through the Pond Vac and then out into the filter. The pump then pushed green water through into the filter and the vac was simulatenously cleaning all the sludge of the floor of the pond. After about a week the water was crystal clear and the floor was imaculate.

You need a fairly powerful pump, but trust me it works very well.

Just a thought..
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 16:53
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #9
Thanks for all the advice, in the end did it the easy wasy, emptied pond, scrubbed sides, washed it all out, tidied plants and then put it all back to gether. did it in the pouring rain as well so well chuffed it all done now.

added pic of fish having a day out in their summer paddling pool, all 10 of the big ones and 4 of the 5 babies showed.

regards

keith

Attach file:

jpg  (737.52 KB)
632_468a70e33f78f.jpg 2048X1536 px

chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 17:30
Re: WASHING PEBBLES IN....................................................? #10
pond all pristine and clean and i bet they still go and poo in it.

Attach file:

jpg  (746.07 KB)
632_468a798830adb.jpg 2048X1536 px