aljabe aljabe
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/7/2007 2:31
yellow water #1
I have a 200ltr set up with a mixture of plecs,cory's & some tetra's etc.The tank is not overstocked & the water readings are o.k.,ammonia-0,ph-7,nitrite-0 & nitrate about 25.
The 'problem' is that the water has a continuous yellow tinge.I know this is not a problem as such but is unsightly.Activated carbon removes the colour but i am afraid of this 'dumping'any impurities back into the water at some point.The filter[Tetratec ex 1200]is cleaned regularly[once a month] & i do two 20% water changes per week to keep the nitrate down.
I was wondering if anyone knows of anything i could use as an alternative to carbon to remove the colour.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/7/2007 9:57
Re: yellow water #2
if you are changing your carbon regularly it won't dump anything back
what is the source of the colour - bogwood? obviously the leachng is finite, but may take a long time, maybe if practicable you could take it out of tank and boil, that will get tannins out quicker??
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Jess1681 Jess1681
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/7/2007 14:34
Re: yellow water #3
I have the same problem with yellow water because of bogwood. I only found out today that this is the cause of the problem - I thought it was algae. I'll go and put the kettle on