« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »
lumbfoot lumbfoot
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 17:03
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #61
We change half the water in our tanks every week (except when we are on holiday); water is pumped out and replaced with tap water from the outside cold tap using a hose pipe (summer and winter). We also rinse out the filter materials under the tap at the same time as we change the water and change the nylon wool about once every three months; sponge filter material we never change.

We never clean out the gravel in the tanks and it has been in use for 10 years now; however we have a very thick growth of crytocoryne plants in the tanks which have to be thinned out about once every 6 months. After thinning the plants the tanks become very cloudy with sediment but an hours filteration with a powerful external filter clears them.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 17:50
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #62
Oh dear, I'm going to have to disagree with you again

Quote:

lumbfoot wrote:
We also rinse out the filter materials under the tap at the same time as we change the water and change the nylon wool about once every three months; sponge filter material we never change.

We never clean out the gravel in the tanks and it has been in use for 10 years now; however we have a very thick growth of crytocoryne plants in the tanks which have to be thinned out about once every 6 months. After thinning the plants the tanks become very cloudy with sediment but an hours filteration with a powerful external filter clears them.

We always advise that filter media should be rinsed in tank water taken out during a water change, never under the tap as chlorine iin tap water can disrupt the bacterial colony, killing a fair quantity if not all and lead to subsequent ammonia and nitrite spikes as the filter needs to start cycling again.

We also always recommend gravel vacuuming on a regular basis as built up waste can cause biological overload and once agin lead to problems with ammonia and nitrite.
Anonymous  
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #63
Lumbfoot, dont take this the wrong way, but if you are a big breeder as you claim to be then you are working within realms very greatly removed from the normal everyday hobbyist fishkeeper. What you do as maintenance has no real bearing on this site, as proper husbandry and fish tank maintenance are absolutely necessary for fish to thrive and lead long healthy lives. This maintenance involves cleaning filter media under water taken from the tank and not from untreated water direct from the tap. Pond water maintenance is also somewhat different to tanks, but people like myself spend out hundreds of pounds on water purification units to clean up water before it enters the pond, NO repectable Koi keeper would ever let untreated water anywhere near their fish. So please I ask you not to give advice that has no place in a forum that is here to help novices get the most from their hobby. If you do what you do in business then that is where it should be for not an open forum. Thank you.
lumbfoot lumbfoot
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 18:17
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #64
We use the tank water when rinsing out the filter materials in the fry rearing tanks. It is a while since I tested for A
ammonia and nitrates and then they were very low; with the plant growth in our tanks and the regular water changes bacterial overload and ammonia, nitrate, problems just dont arise.

Believe it or not all our fish die of old age after many years; granted they were born here in local water and thus did not have the stress of importation and dealers tanks.

At one time I was very involved with fish importation and the losses were horrendous but home bred fish have a much better survival rate.

Attach file:

jpg  (1,325.45 KB)
13570_4e25bc01aa5af.jpg 1061X1024 px
lumbfoot lumbfoot
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 18:20
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #65
I am not a big breeder just a home aquarist with over 50 years of experience. With all the hype about water treatment and chemistry many fish are killed by novice aquarists adding chemicals.

Attach file:

jpg  (500.13 KB)
13570_4e25bcbe1b58b.jpg 1024X694 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 18:43
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #66
Quote:

lumbfoot wrote:
With all the hype about water treatment and chemistry many fish are killed by novice aquarists adding chemicals.

Now there I can agree with you - chemical pH adjusters and the like are risky as they can cause pH to start yo-yoing up and down.

But that doesn't mean we can't create the right water conditions in a natural manner - RO water is a simple way to reduce hardness and pH by mixing with tap water, and of course going the other way - raising gH and pH is even easier with the use of calciferous rocks and coral substrates to buffer the water.
lumbfoot lumbfoot
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 19:08
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #67
I suppose the point I am really trying to make is that you don't need to spend a great deal of money or have a degree in chemistry to be a successful aquarist.

It is hard for people my age who have been keeping fish for many years not to harp on about the past but remember we have made the mistakes and wasted the money and are just trying to pass on this experience.

Back in the 1960s fishkeeping in the Uk was not very advanced and the equipment was basic; few expensive power filters and diaphragm air pumps and no knowledge of water chemistry. The amaricans were well ahead on the equipment but the suprise came in the mid 1960s when the East Germans published their results. Books written by authors such as Sterba and Frey debunked the euipment myths; the East Germans had so little they were even trying to heat their tanks with gas heaters on a slate bed but they did know about fish. Many hard to breed fish such as egglaying tooth carps and characins were being bred by them at home when in the Uk we could barely keep them alive.

Attach file:

jpg  (209.35 KB)
13570_4e25c82504f8e.jpg 1000X681 px
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/7/2011 19:44
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #68
Hi lumbfoot

Welcome to FK, by the way

Yes, things have moved on in fish care at a rapid pace and thank goodness! Hopefully we have less demise now in fishkeeping circles given our understanding.

It is true though that both chlorine (and chloramine - which many water boards have now switched over to using and does not gas off after 24/48 hours unlike chlorine) kill/damage the filter bacteria in tanks.

Ask any number of newbies here who have posted in the emergency section when they have forgotten to add tap water treatment during a water change and are now experiencing white cloudy tanks and elevated ammonia/nitite readings as cycles start again.

FK always recommends pre-treating tap water for this reason.

Keep the tank water safe, toxin free and within the params of the species you are keeping and the fish tend to take care of themselves.

Someone once here said keeping fish, wasn't about fish, it was about keeping water. Never a truer word spoken
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #69
Just for the record Lumbfoot I have been at this 42 years myself. But I have been able to move on and accept that maybe what we used to do was not always the right way. I built my own tank in the early days as I couldn't afford new and that was a metal framed affair. But I would not use that build now as thinbgs have moved on for the better. This list could go on and on, but I will leave it there.
tessy tessy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 20/8/2011 7:53
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #70
this is a really silly question, i have a fluval u4 internal filter where the sponges are white. just want to check , these are normal sponges and not polishing pads? all my other filters have had black sponges?