« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 13 »
claireskinner claireskinner
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/1/2008 0:14
Re: Swimbladder Answers #61
PLease help!!!!!
I have just bought a 15L Bio-Orb & set it up accordingly. We have had our little Dolce (fantail) for 2 weeks now & at first he seemed very happy. He has been swimming around merrily, no problems with eating etc. He even (well what looks like to us) goes to sleep for an hour or two each day, tucks his tail under & floats in the same spot. But this week we have been a little concerned as he seems to be sleeping for hours & does not seems so energetic. He has moved to the opposite side of his tank & just floats with his nose facing downwards. HELP... is he ok?? If not what can I do???
From a very worried Mummy.
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/1/2008 8:51
Re: Swimbladder Answers #62
Claire ,

See here :-

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=13790&forum=1
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
sianobrien sianobrien
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 9/2/2009 21:21
Re: Swimbladder Answers #63
Hello!

I have two coldwater fancy goldfish in a Trigon 190 (about 170 litres with tank decor) with 2 external eheim filters and various plants. 10% water changes every week, readings as follows-
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Temp 21 degrees C

One (the pearlscale, Flo) is absolutely fine, never any problems.

My other red cap oranda (Fred) has suffered from red veins in his tail and has had trouble with boyancy on and off since I rescued him from a smaller tank. Normally some shelled peas have cured this but more recently (despite treatments with melafix) he seems not to be responding and continues to float at the top. He is eating very well and tries to swim down with little success.

I have previously treated the tank with aqualibrium salt (a couple of months back) and recently bought Interpet no.13 swim bladder to treat the tank. I have administered the first dose, but without the salt...have I been a complete idiot by missing this step? He seems stronger, but it's early days. I have bought the internal antibacterial too to use after a 30% water change 7 days after the no.13 if there has not been any improvement. He is only a couple of years old, and I am determined to get him back to health as he will have many more ahead if I succeed...any help is gratefully recieved. Thank you
->Sian<- its all about the fishy's >O>*
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/2/2009 21:33
Re: Swimbladder Answers #64
Hello,

The red veins in the tail make me wonder if this is oxygen deficit related. It could be an internal bacteria infection but I'd have expected that to have finished him by now. Interpet meds wont touch internal bacteria - in fact no off the shelf medications will.

Your test results show no ammonia or nitrite which is good and low nitrate which is also excellent. The temperature is warm but comfortable and you're not overstocked. Plus having two external filters means plenty of flow to reduce dead spots in the water. All good things and thank you for getting all that information in the fist post - it really helps

So I'd have to ask about the PH, the gill colour and if there is an airstone in the tank?
When he floats does he end up on his side or back?
sianobrien sianobrien
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 7:38
Re: Swimbladder Answers #65
Thank you for your reply

His gills do not appear inflamed, nor his scales, however he does appear to have lost several scales on his left hand side near his tail at the top of his back. He floats upside down..

I have a large airstone at the rear of the tank by the internal filter.

I will measure PH later this evening and get back to you on that one!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 10/2/2009 19:06
Re: Swimbladder Answers #66
What is his diet made up of? Floating upsidedown implies it could be diet related as the guts are underneath him so any gas in them flips the fish over. I'd be inclined to try a totally vegetarian diet for a couple of weeks and only feed lightly. If his guts are inflamed they need some time to calm down again so it could take a while. It took a fortnight for my pearlscale to stay the right way up after diet related floating. Try some soaked crushed algae wafers as well as peas and other veg.

One of mine has the red veins every now and then and I've never figured it out even with the help of the chaps/chapesses on here

Could be rubbing against anything to cause the scale loss? If he is floating is there anything nearby which he could be getting brushed up against? If any bits of him stick out of the water you can cover them in vaseline to act as a slimecoat and prevent him drying out
It's Not Just A Fish
sianobrien sianobrien
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 16/2/2009 19:18
Re: Swimbladder Answers #67
Good news is that he seems to have less red in his fins now. We are on the third dose of swim bladder treatment by Interpet. I know it's unlikely to cure him...maybe it is my naivety that makes me think it will help in some way...

PH is reading at 7 (sorry for the delay in responding!)

Will try the internal infection treatment by Interpet as Goldy did after the last treatment (wait 7 days then do a 30% water change first obviously).

He is still swimming upside down, his scales are back now though he is eating well, Suey-what make of algae flakes did you use? Going to try that too, he like's banana and peas, but if he spits them out they float to the bottom and my greedy pearlscale eats them before he can try to get to it!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 16/2/2009 19:26
Re: Swimbladder Answers #68
I use Ocean Nutrition with spirulina ones Just wondering if the banana and peas aren't causing some gas issues - they are quite sugary so maybe there is something there

The PH is fine for goldies If the meds help then all to the good, if not at least you tried so can rule out an infection causing it.

You could try hand feeding him to keep the others at bay or use a pipette with the end cut off to allow bigger bits in. I wouldn't feed him too much, goldies are always hungry and if he's not working off the calories he'll start to get other problems. Cruel to be kind and all that Glad to hear the redness is in remission for the moment though
It's Not Just A Fish
lessaone lessaone
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 10:10
Re: Swimbladder Answers #69
Goldy, I came here about a year ago (maybe less) and got some wonderful suggestions about goldfish care. My Freddy, you all determined, is a moor. At that time, he was swollen and floating upside down, etc.

To summarize, I have tried everything. For months, he has existed upside down. Pretty lethargic, too, except that he eats enthusiastically--upside down.

My question is, do goldfish suffer? Is he happy in this condition? He doesn't look happy. He doesn't swim except when feeding, and then he can get pretty energetic. All the rest of the time, he's just lying there, panting.

I see in the msg I am replying to, you mention euthanasia. I've thought about it, but have no idea HOW. I've had to put down many a beloved dog in my life--but how on earth do you humanely kill a goldfish?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

<>lessa<>
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/4/2009 10:41
Re: Swimbladder Answers #70
hi lessa,
sorry to hear freddy is still having trouble. the most humane way to eutahnise a fish, is to put him in a smaller volume of water and add clove oil (anaethesthic) until fishy falls asleep, then add some vodka to the water, which is what will actually do the job. clove oil wont do it on its own, but dont add the vodka till fishy has gone to sleep.

whether its the right thing to do can only be decided by you, you have to decide whether he has enough quality of life, and it sounds like you dont think he has. it also sounds like you have done everything possible to try and make life more comfortable for him. if theres little chance of him recovering, it may be the kindest thing to do.
hope that helps
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...