• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/2/2015 1:36
Re: Project Tank Move. #61
Yay, great news.
Boo, no photos
[img align=center]http://www.fishkeeping.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 12/2/2015 16:37
Re: Project Tank Move. #62
Agreed - come on we want to see!!
johnny n johnny n
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 12/2/2015 18:24
Re: Project Tank Move. #63
photos or it didn't happen !

waiting patiently
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 13/2/2015 8:42
Re: Project Tank Move. #64
Morning all !

Sorry for the delay been crazy couple of days moving the rest of the house ! Fish came first.....

My camera is sadly not up to the job but some quick shots ! The tank is. Lot brighter than it looks

Resized Image

Perky, the calico fantail , is a brute of a fish ! The pic does not show how lovely his fanlike tail is . Pinky is the same age but half the size !

Resized Image

Resized Image

They love their new tank which now feels smaller. Always zooming around playing.

Beginning to think that adding 4 more may be to much long term ! So I think I may take one of the 4 "toddlers" back. But am already attached to all four of them hard choices to make....
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/2/2015 12:45
Re: Project Tank Move. #65
It's looking good Luke. You're going to have many years of happy, healthy goldies, all being well. I told you the tank would start to look smaller once you were used to it
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 13/2/2015 14:27
Re: Project Tank Move. #66
Looks great!
johnny n johnny n
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 13/2/2015 17:03
Re: Project Tank Move. #67
ohhh, fish, in the tank !!!!

I can see what you are saying about stocking, im really agonising about getting a 6th fish. There is something nice about odd numbers as well. (or I might just be slowly loosing it)

Anyhoo, its probably not important as when my wife gets home and finds 20 kilos of slate rocks I found in the garden, in the kitchen sink im going to be walking the green mile anyway :)
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 15/2/2015 11:17
Re: Project Tank Move. #68
Did the fair lady mention the rock.... Wine or chocs always seems to ease any fish related "issues" in our house !

Right wordy update !!

Ok made some hard choices today. I took back one of the toddlers just now. Going by how big the calico has got , if they come anything close the tank will look over crowed with 6 in perhaps 18months . Crazy right ! Plus 5 is more pleasing number.

After careful thinking , I'm also rehoming the bristlenosed. She does not seem happy . In the old set up had plenty of bogwood which she loved to hide in. But even with couple of slate caves , she still looks stressed . My LFS is happy to take her. Normal she wolfs down cougette but not touched it since she moved in. She is still eating the wafers.

Little bit sad, but her welfare comes first. I would love to set up the Rio 180 as a species tank for her but got told categorically no more tanks in house...

On a more positive note, the plants all seem to be flourishing, especially the Crinium. Weekly does of flourish and daily dosing of flourish excel is deffo doing the trick.

Had a minor ammonia spike at around .5ppm but looks like the seeding of new filter has taken hold as water back to 0, 0 with nitrates at around 5ppm . Using 100% r/o with its 0 nitrates (my tap water is 50ppm!) is deffo making for a good quality water. Still testing twice daily of course.

Will get more pics soon, as today is final stages of house move!

MTS ordered and some nerites as well. Do they like courgette btw ?

Bit of an essay for an update.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 17/2/2015 11:26
Re: Project Tank Move. #69
Another big day! The three toddlers were added to the main tank yesterday. 2 weeks in the q-tank and all healthy so no concerns on spreading any diseases (also the OH wanted the q-tank out of the kitchen....)

After the initial shock at the size of their new home they settled in very well. Happily feed this morning. They look so teeny tiny -barely over 2? I'll get some decent pics tonight sorted.

The filter has definitely settled in no more mini ammonia spikes. Water is crystal clear, plants growing bloody quickly. Not had a single spec of algae yet either in three weeks. Which is very unexpected and rather nice. Daily dosing of carbon doing this or are the pants pulling the nutrients out of the water? Also maybe the fact using 100% r/o water means no non tank created nutrients floating around.

MTS due for delivery today and picking up the nerite snails tomorrow. Considering also a couple of bamboo filter shrimp - the rocks are perfect for them to stand.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 17/2/2015 19:43
Re: Project Tank Move. #70
Managed to get a group shot! Perky the (monster....) calico fantail and Pinky, the red/white oranda have been very welcoming and even parental perhaps to the new guys. We have Lord Vadar the black lionhead, Gold Leader, the red/gold lion head and Marilyn (on account of a set perfect red "lips") the white oranda. So far seems a very happy tank. Look at the size difference !!

Resized Image