« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/2/2015 22:03
Re: Project Tank Move. #51
wahoo! a massive.... 75l R/O done (in 3 x 25l Jerry cans) only another 275l to go.

I need to source a 200l water tank - time to check out eBay.

Though has anyone got any alternative options such as a garden water butt for example - cheaper just need to find out if food safe.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/2/2015 7:31
Re: Project Tank Move. #52
I use one of these Luke, only 100L, but I remember checking out what kind of plastic it is and know it's safe.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 5/2/2015 10:04
Re: Project Tank Move. #53
Ah thanks FL - that is also practically the right volume for a 400l PWC! perhaps would be a better option than a larger one thinking about it this morning only need something larger to initially fill the tank with .
johnny n johnny n
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 8:44
Re: Project Tank Move. #54
Hi Luke,

Its all looking good with your new setup !

My new tank arrived yesterday (ill start a new thread for it!), and im thinking of getting another canister filter for it.

I've already got a decent sized one on the current tank that will be moved across. I can have one set up on a spray bar, and the other in 'normal' config.

Now, not really having time to do a load of research on filters I was considering just copying you (similar sized tank and stock), since you seem to have done your homework ! Is your new one still on the recommended list ? :) , and where did you get the extra media from ?

Ta, john

(ps, my other half seems quite happy with the size of the new tank, even though its massive ! I did get a sarky comment about there being about 'ten feet' of fishtank in the house now though )
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 9:41
Re: Project Tank Move. #55
Morning Chap

Congrats on the tank and winning over the OH!!

I deffo recommend the Hydor pro 600 and currently on Amazon for 118 so a great price.

The medium that comes with it is perfectly fine. However I decided to go with Biohome ultimate (after looking around easy to find in google!) - bigger surface area and it also provides a very good anaerobic area for the nitrate eating bacteria (these should start appearing after 6 months)

I also updated the foams. in the bottom tray added another course layer to the supplied black foam. Then in the second tray from bottom, 2 layers medium foam then a layer of fine foam. The theory being that by the time the water gets to the media all the gunge has been caught already.

The top 3 are then filled with the biohome.

I'll post some pics of the media trays later today!
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 6/2/2015 15:45
Re: Project Tank Move. #56
Plants came today (aquaessentials)! 100L of R/O is in a water butt being warmed up - using 2 x 200W heaters as needs to be outside sadly. Not ideal but need to get it to at last 20 degrees or risk shocking the plants . Plan is to get the planting done this evening and have enough water to cover them. Will run the circulations pumps to keep water flowing over them.

Need to go get another 100l from shortly.

Added 2 more fish to the q-tank. These are 2" as well and seem so bloody small! The Eheim powerball is keeping the ater really clean. I test the the water twice a day to be safe. Another 2 weeks and they will be ready for the big tank!

Aiming for Sunday afternoon for the big fish to relocate eeekkk!
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 7/2/2015 22:33
Re: Project Tank Move. #57
It's only when it's time to fill a large rank with the remineralised R/o , one realises how much water it takes!

I'm making the R/O initially into 25l plastic Jerry cans. Which is then brought into the house. Where it takes 24 hours to warm up. When four cans are done and at room temp, all 4 then go into the water butt, remineralised and transferred into the tank via a return pump.

Just too cold to warm direct in the water butt!

Day 2 of filling and only have 200 litres done and in tank.... Plants seem happy enough!

Another 100l is warming next to radiators for tom night. And then buying 50l at LFS so should be done ! Gone are the days it's takes an hour to fill a tank .....
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 9/2/2015 10:29
Re: Project Tank Move. #58
Some pics!

Nearly full only 50l of R/O to go! There is a lot of microbubbles hence the slight opaqueness but it cleared overnight (photo taken last night and the vase is where pipe was placed with the incoming water to diffuse it!)

Resized Image

Top right corner two pumps, to make sure there are no null zones in the tank and plants as well as fish like extra currents.

Resized Image

And a Crinum. All the plants are planted in terracotta saucers filled with soil substrate which is covered in garden weed retention under the sand to stop the sand mixing in it

Resized Image
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 11/2/2015 17:16
Re: Project Tank Move. #59
Ok big moment later today... time to move the fish to their new home. Will wait till tonight when there is less traffic - have to move fast like an organ donor courier - to keep the bacteria alive!
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 11/2/2015 23:51
Re: Project Tank Move. #60
Fish are in their new home.!!

It went smoother than thought. Filter media from old tank mixed In with new media and hydor back up and running. Turnaround time for bacteria leaving old tank and into new tank was around 20mins. Hope managed to seed successfully.

Fish seem happy. And tank feels suddenly smaller as well....

Now have the big guys in, can add the four little ones in about a weeks time once the q tank session completed.