« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/1/2015 19:03
Re: Project Tank Move. #41
I totally wussed out ! Play sand is a good, cheap substrate but it takes a hell of lot to clean it !

I did one bucket, and got very cold hands ! One is banned from the kitchen for cleaning, has to be in the garden! though nothing was said about the garage .....
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 1/2/2015 18:31
Re: Project Tank Move. #42
Terribly exciting moment. Filled the tank for the first time! Figured best to make sure no leaks. Ran the pump as well and seemed to work well. Decent flow into tank with the spray bar.

Got some sand cleaned. All rocks cleaned as well. Can start aquascapng properly tonight.

Resized Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/2/2015 19:05
Re: Project Tank Move. #43
I prefer to clean sand/gravel in the shower with warm water. That way you don't freeze and any mess - which there needn't be - is contained and easily cleared up
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 1/2/2015 19:21
Re: Project Tank Move. #44
Hey Cathie! Sadly I lost that battle with the OH. She has been generally good about it all. Howver there is now a strict no "fishy stuff" in the house.... Can live with cold fingers if it keeps her happy ! Also having a hosepipe on full blast at bottom of bucket turns out to be a pretty good way of cleaning the sand !
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 2/2/2015 11:57
Re: Project Tank Move. #45
Quote:

cathie wrote:
I prefer to clean sand/gravel in the showe with warm water. That way you don't freeze and any mess - which there needn't be - is contained and easily cleared up

Why did I not think of that??
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 2/2/2015 12:07
Re: Project Tank Move. #46
Morning all

Did some work on the tank last night. Rocks added, first of (many!)buckets of sand and inital "planting" with the foreground plastic plants. Have another small plastic plant of a darker hue to add in the odd place to break up the green . Annubis will be superglued to the top of the rocks (apparently is a trick by used by aquascapists!) Will wash more sand tonight and build up the volume.

Resized Image

In the QTank ? the two new guys (names to be confirmed) are like eating machines ?constantly wanting food - the lion head is like a Black Labrador and if anyone has one, they?ll know they are just walking dustbins!

We feed them little an often throughout the day using Hikari fancy pellets. Are they ready yet for some daphnia or frozen blood worm?
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 3/2/2015 10:06
Re: Project Tank Move. #47
Quote:

LukeC wrote:
Annubis will be superglued to the top of the rocks (apparently is a trick by used by aquascapists!)

I believe superglue dissolves in water!! If I were you I'd use aquarium sealant for sticking things, it'll hold underwater and it's fish safe.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/2/2015 10:25
Re: Project Tank Move. #48
It depends on which kind of superglue you use. There's a specific variant used for this purpose, it must be the gel type.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 3/2/2015 11:19
Re: Project Tank Move. #49
Morning All.

Yeah according to the various 'scaping forums gel superglue is ok to(and it's non toxic once dry) it does eventually dissolve but long after the roots have been able to dig into the rock. Only need a small dot.

On another note, this endless cold weather has stopped R/O production(I have a unit that attaches to an outside tap via hoselock fittings) it not getting above 2 or 3 degrees during day and last night was -2! I may have to buy it in from LFS.

I need approx 360l (taking into account rocks etc) and so far have 50l.... and that 50L will be used for the RIO 180 PWC anyway!
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 4/2/2015 11:35
Re: Project Tank Move. #50
Yay! it's a barmy 5 degree today - R/O unit back in production. hopefully have 100L by end of the day afore the temp drops back to 0.