« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »
RJS2503 RJS2503
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/5/2012 15:05
Re: Help! #41
Brilliant, very helpful!! We've rehomed all thr barbs and i am going to get some more danios and some rainbow fish :)
SH4RKN0S3 SH4RKN0S3
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/5/2012 18:59
Re: Help! #42
I've had a fair few fish of that list, but can't say any better than the rainbowfish. Actually the photo for the caresheets are mine when they were babies . They became even more stunning and I never experienced any health or bullying issues with them. They all exceeded the lifespan estimates I could find for them. Sadly all but a couple did'nt survive the tank move, probably as they were frail and elderly gents .

I'm currently refurbing my tank and intend to restock with just rainbows, corys and a couple of angels (plus a few mixed fish from my old setup, unless I can rehomed them).

It's odd how different people can have varying experiences with different fish. I never had any success with Cherry barbs, but had no problems with supposedly more fragile pentazoan barbs. I've had bullying kribs, but a rainbow shark I emergency rehomed when my brother had a tank leak, has always been well behaved.
If you drink too much, expect to wake up in the strangest places! Resized Imageimg
RJS2503 RJS2503
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 3/5/2012 19:02
Re: Help! #43
The rainbow fish are very beautiful. I was also thinking of getting a cat fish?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/5/2012 22:43
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #44
There are some very pretty rainbowfish ranging in size from about 8cm to 15cm, so just bear in mind that given these are shoaling fish (6 min, but behave better in groups of 8-10 IMHO) so your tank size will limit your choice somewhat unless you plan an upgrade for mature specimens. The existing danios temp range may limit this choice, further of course. Which rainbows were appealing to you?
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
RJS2503 RJS2503
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 3/5/2012 22:49
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #45
Not looked into it too much yet, want to do it right though. The pets at home near us only sell mixed rainbow fish...
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/5/2012 22:58
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #46
Here's the low down from the SF stock website....

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/search/rainbow+fish

There are some smaller ones not listed such as the Threadfins or Forktails though so have a good search first.

I'd suggest trying to use a good local aquatic shop than the big chains TBH. My local P@H only quarantines for a day before fish are sold, usually QT should be for several weeks. Not sure if all their shops are the same but an instant way to bring disease into an otherwise healthy tank, unless you run QT yourself (strongly recommended on FK)
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/5/2012 13:02
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #47
Pseudomugil species are usually referred to as "Blue Eyes", and are ideal for smaller aquariums than some of the more commonly seen species of Rainbowfish. The commonly seen species are Pseudomugil gertrudae[i], [i]Pseudomugil signifer, and Pseudomugil furcatus. Any of them will be fine in a tank 60L+. Lots of plants, including floaters will keep them very happy. P. gertrudae is the only one I kept, and sadly didn't breed. Its not a long-lived fish compared to some small species though.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
SH4RKN0S3 SH4RKN0S3
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/5/2012 21:44
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #48
I've always fancied keeping some of the "blue eyes", but never found them locally. Probably going to have a mix of Boesemani, Lake terbera and maybe lake kutubu, red and banded.
If you drink too much, expect to wake up in the strangest places! Resized Imageimg
aqualife2u aqualife2u
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 14/1/2013 18:18
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #49
I agree the neon definitely deserves to be in there....as for the worst fish Ive kept it would have to be my first Common Plec when i was 10 years old ...out grew my tank in 18 months....bad advise form LFS
aqualife2u aqualife2u
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 4/2/2013 19:27
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #50
That list definitely needs the Neon adding....my fav