« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 10:08
Re: Red fins and scales #41
Also you could mix in some real cheap plants with the plastic ones - no need to plant them in gravel, you can just leave them floating on the surface of bunch stems together with a plant weight - elodea ('goldfish weed' in my local pet shop) is cheap and easily available, and will help with water quality by using up some ammonia. You can cut the stems in half when they grow too big, and just chuck out when you are ready to get something more ornamental. Goldfish quite like it to eat too.
Rinse plants throughly in a bucket of tap water before you add to tank. (Or you can rinse first in weak bleach solution provided you rinse that off very thoroughly - not sure what dilution of household bleach - you want it like Milton baby bottle steriliser no stronger)
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 13:04
Re: Red fins and scales #42
Hi Cathie,
How would it be if introduced the ornaments from the old tank along with fake and real plants, LHG was saying that adding some of the old media may be benificial, will the algea on the ornaments have any good bacteria?

Jenny
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 13:31
Re: Red fins and scales #43
There might be a bit, though may have died off by now if out of oxygenated water overnight, but worth a go.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 21:36
Re: Red fins and scales #44
Hi,
I have tonight swilled the fake and real plants along with the ornaments from the old tank (not in fresh water but in the old tank) I guess the declorinator will help with any nasties but hopefully some of the good bacteria will have survived. The fish are so much happier having there own surrounding back, I have been trying to post a pic but the file size is too large. When I have fathomed it out I will post pics of the tank and its occupants.

Jenny
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 21:43
Re: Red fins and scales #45
That's great Jenny.
What you are doig for them is wonderful!

How are their fins looking?

I had a really bad brain day yesterday and for some reason real plants never occured to me, despite being the only plants I use!?

Having somewhere to hide should lower their stress levels some so all their energy can be used recovering and toughing it out thru the cycle.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 21:52
Re: Red fins and scales #46
Hi FGF,
To say I was worried about the fish at the weekend is an understatement; I really thought on Monday night when I got home from work they would all be dead.
Luckily I had the new tank with me and got stuck in with setting it up (long job with god knows how many buckets of water, OH was shattered when it was finished). The fish became quickly acclimatised to the water and set about strutting their stuff, fins up almost giddy with their new surroundings, I thought this may have been hysteria but no this morning they were all at the front of the glass looking at me, if fish could smile mine are laughing there heads off.
I can?t tell you have happy I am so far with the results.

I intend to post a pic shortly

Jenny
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 2/4/2008 21:28
Re: Red fins and scales #47
Hi all,
The latest on my fish is that all seem really well, the giveaway discolouration on the fins and spine scales has faded drastically, and for this I am thankful, there health has improved no end. I have used the water testing kit tonight and the levels are fine, the tank is still very new and I still have my fingers crossed but I have high hopes that all my fish will live happy healthy lives.
I have thoughts on introducing crabs (not sure of the name) I saw them in the aquarium store where I bought the new tank, as crabs are bottom feeders I think this will aid the cleaning of the debris, which accumulates on the bottom as all my fish seem to do is Poo, does anyone have any thoughts on this idea.

Jenny
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 2/4/2008 21:35
Re: Red fins and scales #48
I wouldn't mix crabs or similar with fish if you want to keep your fish intact ...
You won't find any creature you can add to a fish tank that will keep the gravel clean, that's your job, although malaysian trumpet snails will burrow about in it and keep it aerated and eat any spare bits of food they find there. (If ANYONE wants some MTS I sill have plenty more spare ...)
What you need is a gravel cleaner!
Goldfish are poo factories, and don't forget the ammonia they excrete through their gills which is worse for the water conditions but you can't see.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 2/4/2008 21:47
Re: Red fins and scales #49
How big do the MTS grow? will my carp swallow them, he has a mounth the size of a 5p piece.
Jen
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 3/4/2008 19:32
Re: Red fins and scales #50
Well I think my big goldfish eat the babies, but they spit the adult ones out in disgust as they are very pointy. Pm me your address if you'd like some and I'll send you some when I've got some big ones, might be a few weeks.

Mine are mostly descended from these:

http://www.snailshop.co.uk/p/286782/s ... melanoides-granifera.html