« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »
reander reander
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/10/2007 4:24
Re: Feeding Garlic #31
My newest attempt is apple rubbed with garlic. Plecs seemed to like it.

I've never tried the garlic as a constipation cure, one of my bristlenoses is always bunged up! Must try that instead of peas one day...

But as Eagle said garlic isn't a medication, you should definately be treating with something like Protozin.
Resized Image
Bashypack Bashypack
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/10/2007 6:51
Re: Feeding Garlic #32
I used protozin the very first day and have continued to use it - all as you suggested on the seperate thread - I had used garlic as a preventer - not as a cure - it clearly did not work as a preventer as my tank is now completely dead - not sure what to do next - strip it out and start again I suppose- water parameters have been fine all along -Not really sure what to do differently -I kept an eye on everything and in 5 days have gone from healthy tank with 17 fish to tank with some nice plants - I have had the pleko for years and he too has gone this morning to say the least I am devastated - but at a loss as to how to treat an outbreak again if this is the result from following instructions!
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 12/10/2007 15:25
Re: Feeding Garlic #33
Bashypack- theres probably something you need to know about whitespot. You never know , it might help you next time.

Whitespot is a common parasite around tropical regions of the world, it exists both sides of the equator , and is spread in both segregated lakes, and connected river systems, as such although still considered one species, it is subject to a certain amount of respeciation and there are as a result, different strains. No one medicine will kill all strains of whitespot, even the usually reliable protozin has its limits, but I have generally found that what protozin cant kill, esha exit will, that is of course assuming what you had was actually whitespot.

There are a few diseases that look like whitespot, many small burrowing flukes can give the look of whitespot, then theres gold dust disease, and even some bacterial reactions in fish may produce many small pustules that to the uninitiated eye may look superficially like whitespot.

Then there is the fact that whitespot kills by its drain on the host, sometimes if the coverage is vast, the first generation of adult whitespot parasites may kill the host, and even under immediate treatment it can sometimes be too late, It really depends on the owner spotting the spots before they become too numerous.

Then, also worth bearing in mind that most protozoan parasites (sporozoan in this case)also reduce the immune system of the host, making other ambient bacteria more deadly to the host. Its not unusual to find that you have treated whitespot successfully , only to find the fish fall to other common bacteria, for which real antibiotic treatments are more appropriate. Its actually usual rather than extraordinary for a fish sufferring these parasites to also have other complaints. Fish getting whitespot obviously havent been subject to good quarantine, and that means any one of hundreds of other diseases can be in the same tank, just ready to bloom when a parasite hits.

Gimme the run down on everything that you did, every symptom you saw on the fish, and I will probably be able to work out what happened, why it happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. If you posted on the subject, pooint me in the right direction. ;)
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/10/2007 15:40
Re: Feeding Garlic #34
I'm very sorry for your loss, Bashypack
T.L
Resized Image
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 19/11/2007 21:43
Re: Feeding Garlic #35
does this garlic method only work for tropical fish or all of them and does it have any nasty side effects???
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2007 17:52
Re: Feeding Garlic #36
No side effects as far as we can tell. Its just a handy little thing to stimulate feeding in certain species, and it works as a mild purgative on almost all species. The worst it gets is when you put too much in and a piece gets left behind. It will put your nitrates up a little, and the smell is awesome, like a bus full of frenchmen, or me after a really good curry :D You should always be removing uneated food within 24 hours anyway.
Resized Image
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2007 19:37
Re: Feeding Garlic #37
oh ok thanks but would this work will pond fish aswell??

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2007 23:18
Re: Feeding Garlic #38
Yep sure will, but obviously in a pond if the visibility is rough its hard to tell if the fish are eating it or not.

Well, I say sure will , but garlic is a food, not really a treatment. It might help to shift the odd intestinal worm or bout of constipation but its not a real chemically adjusted purgative or anything, its just a little natural aid. Its a help but its not a real totally reliable cure or anything. Helpful yes, but miracle cure it aint.
Resized Image
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2007 18:02
Re: Feeding Garlic #39
my pond is very clear so i should be fine ill try them when there eating a little more activley

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
Anonymous  
Re: Feeding Garlic #40
do tetras like garlic (I've just read the reply about the cardinls and I'm hmmmm?), as said in another post I'm about 4 weeks (at least) away from getting my fish but I'd like to know what theyd like as treats every now and then, or even if they wont like this at all