« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/11/2011 23:04
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #31
It's all coming together, the light tubes arrived today not sure they work yet though because starter is still on it's way. Was thinking of painting the back and sides or getting some black background don't know how to put that on so it looks perfect?
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

www.midlandspondservices.co.uk
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/11/2011 23:09
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #32
I've found Seaview background glue works well as long as you spend some time smoothing out any air bubbles. The smoothest finish is paint though. Use a roller to apply (or a spray can), to avoid brush marks and clean the glass really well before painting.
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 24/11/2011 23:16
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #33
What type of paint would you say I should use? Is it a special roller or? And do you use any chemical to clean before painting?

Sorry for all my stupid questions just want to get this tank right Thanks again.
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/11/2011 23:39
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #34
I've painted a couple of tank backs with emulsion, and so long as you do several coats you should get a nice even colour. I just used a brush, it was very quick and easy.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 28/11/2011 14:21
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #35
Great either the tubes or the starter don't work!!!

CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 28/11/2011 15:09
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #36
I am really stuck what to do now I have no idea what to do. The starter with the two new tubes don't work also for some reason the tube built into the lid will not work now! But the new tubes don't work with starter in the lid.

Do you think I have 3 broken bulbs? Or two broken starters?
The old bulb that was in the lid (2-3 years old) has no rattle but the new two bulbs have really bad rattle's?

I did try to call the bulb seller they want ?3.50 connection charge and ?1.50 per min after that.

Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/11/2011 16:32
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #37
Hi CB

Which starter did you buy and where from?
WHich bulbs did you buy and where from?
Were the original starter and bulb working before you tried the new tubes in the old starter?
Have you tried the old bulb in one side of the new starter?
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 28/11/2011 17:03
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #38
Which starter did you buy and where from?
The starter was this one

HERE

Which bulbs did you buy and where from?

I bought two Hagen A1581 T8 Aqua-Glo 15 inch 14 watt for ?10.41 each from http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cata ... -t8-fluorescent-tubes.asp" rel="external" title="">HERE

Were the original starter and bulb working before you tried the new tubes in the old starter? The light in the lid was working up to last week but seems not be working with the old tube now (Was 2-3 years old). Both the new tubes do not work in the old starter. (Used 4 different sockets up and down stairs)

Have you tried the old bulb in one side of the new starter?
All three tubes do not work in the new starter.

The old tube has no rattle in what so ever but both new ones have things sliding up and down in the tube, box may have been dropped?

Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 28/11/2011 17:17
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #39
Hi

I think the most likely thing is faulty bulbs. You can find out for sure with a voltmeter if you or anyone you know has one, or get a tube locally to try in the new starter. Just in case, are you sure you're connecting the tubes correctly?

If you go to this page on the site the tubes came from and scroll to "Returns Policy" there's an email address for arranging an RMA on faulty items so that will save you the expensive 'phone call.
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 28/11/2011 17:25
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #40
I just rang them and they said city link will be around 1st thing to collect the bulb's in the morning.

I will also try get my dad to go buy another bulb tommoro because I need 1 more anyway.