BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/4/2007 17:00
Re: What is Live Rock? #31
Thanks Coralline

I'll leave it alone then - I can do without any more problems. My tank has settled down nicely now, as it was before my ammonia spike. I'm not going through that again.

I'll stick to buying some nice mushrooms and polyps on live rock in a couple of months, so as not to overload it.

The tufa rock has some algae growth - not a lot yet, but it's looking quite nice, and being light in colour makes the tank brighter too.

For anyone else interested, I found this site with reasonably priced live rock, which I'll now not be using!

http://www.1st4aquatics.com/index.asp - 5kg Fiji cured live rock - £49.99 delivered.

Just as a quickie question without going off topic too much in here for too long, I have 2 x T8 bulbs in the hood - 1 marine white and 1 marine actinic blue. I'm thinking of getting a luminaire with 4 x T5 bulbs. This would, I assume, be better for keeping the polyps?
peediepixie peediepixie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From Orkney
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/4/2007 20:29
Re: What is Live Rock? #32
Thats a really good wee article, never noticed it before now, oops! Trying to become a bit more marine savvy
Original Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/4/2007 23:25
Re: What is Live Rock? #33
Quote:

BreadBoy wrote:

Just as a quickie question without going off topic too much in here for too long, I have 2 x T8 bulbs in the hood - 1 marine white and 1 marine actinic blue. I'm thinking of getting a luminaire with 4 x T5 bulbs. This would, I assume, be better for keeping the polyps?

yeah that lighting would be better for polyps, but your tank setup isnt right for coral really, they need a reef rock system the bio filteration you are using will produce too many nitrates etc for corals even easy ones like mushies and corals, if anything i would just get some pieces of live rock that just have a few small bits on and see if they do any good, if they do ok, then you would know it was worth spending more on anything nicer, but the lights you have will be ok for corals that dont require too much light, i have t8 bulbs, but its only a shallow tank, so everything is close enough to tehm! so if you put something fairly high up and it does ok, then consider upgrading lighting then. coz theres no point getting better lighting if your tank wont support corals.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
BreadBoy BreadBoy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 6/4/2007 21:21
Re: What is Live Rock? #34
Thaks for that.

I had 2 pulsing xenias and a mushroom rock which were doing really well until my ammonia spike.

Once the tank has settled down I might try some more of those, and maybe a cabbage coral, those three (apparently) being the easiest to look after. With the better lighting and now the RO water unlike before, hopefully it will make the tank a nicer place!

All were on live rock and did really well.
scott_888 scott_888
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 2/3/2008 21:02
Re: What is Live Rock? #35
I've just had a random thought lol. Surely if you add the live rock while your tank is cycling then any life that hatches will soon die off because the tank has not reached a sutiable condition ?
smarttony smarttony
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 2/3/2008 21:09
Re: What is Live Rock? #36
A lot of lifeform from LR are hardy to cycling and it show the lr is alive and doing it job of filtering the bacterias that control the water parameter. There are die off from LR which help the proccess of the cycling. When all is cured and mature, even if u added some more LR at a later stage then you would get a mini cycle which would last a few hours depending on how cured the LR is.HTH

Tony
Original ImageOriginal ImageOriginal Image
Original Image
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 27/4/2008 19:08
Re: What is Live Rock? #37
Re fish only systems

if you want a bit more colour then try going for TMC plastic rock, it looks more lifelike than tuffa/ocean rock yet doesn't go live any more than normal rocks as its hollow and you just need to cable tie it into formations it's alright stuff

Re live rock in a cycling tank

theoretically you can add fish straight away after cured rock has gone in as it's "cycled" at the fish shop to get rid of the die-off from transport, meaning you stick it in your tank, wait a few day just to make sure the levels are correct and you can in theory add a hardy fish or 2 to the system or some crabs or something to keep the beasties in the rock feeding

to check if it is alright or if it has died off just give it a sniff, if it smells ok it's most likely ok, if it smells bad then it's not fully cured or has died off somewhat
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
marinebettafan marinebettafan
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 16/2/2009 16:01
Re: What is Live Rock? #38
to check if it is alright or if it has died off just give it a sniff, if it smells ok it's most likely ok, if it smells bad then it's not fully cured or has died off somewhat[/quote]

When he says it smells bad it basically smells like rotten seafood if its not fully cured or has died off somewhat.
another thing to consider is how you transport it home, it amazes me how shops advertise it as cured live rock then when you buy it they just hand it to you. most creatures present on live rock will die when out of water. meaning the rock is no longer cured. dont be afraid to ask your retailler to put it in water for you.
aquamover aquamover
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 16/2/2009 21:49
Re: What is Live Rock? #39
Awww what a great read very usefull information there thanks regards brian ;)
blinkster blinkster
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/6/2009 10:21
Re: What is Live Rock? #40
Thanks for your information!
Very helpful!

I have had my new tank and LR for around 3 days now and already amazing signs of life are appearing :P
It may sound really sad but atm i love just sitting and watching the grassy things growing on it waving in the current...
Awesome!