« 1 2 3 (4)
Squish Squish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Northumberland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 0:17
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #31
Phew! I think I was looking for things to worry about. My hood should be enough concern, it's sort of balanced precariously at the minute. That's gonn ahave to be a job for tomorrow though, given how long it's just took me set up the darn filter.

thanks Violet
Anonymous  
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #32
sop what should i do as im no longer keeping goldfish
only have one but hes prob going to a freind soon

should i maybe go for this one
http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/Prodshowroomdetails.aspx?id=254

as they said for a 65 litre tank it would be fine
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 0:52
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #33
Where have the cold water goldies and tropical sucking loaches gone to then Jimbo? Good idea to update your profile, perhaps

Even this filter is aimed at 200 litres so too big, if you only still have the 60l
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #34
ive still got the golden sucking loiaches as they seem to be doing fine and have had them now for a year.

what would you reccomend for my 65 litre tank then
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/1/2010 1:50
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #35
Just to add my thoughts...

I always aim for a high turnover on my tanks.
On my 270Ltr tank I have a Tetratec EX 1200 & an Aquis 1000, a total turnover of 2200Ltr/hr. Of course i don't actually achieve this, because although the manufacturers material states that a filter has a certain turnover, it is substantially reduced when in use, to as little as 60% of maximum flow, possibly less.
There is a little current in the tank, but certainly not excessive.

It is possible to have high turnover filtration, if you are prepared to baffle it in some way, I use heavy planting.

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
Anonymous  
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #36
my current filter is an interpet pf3
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 20:10
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #37
Hi Jimbo - If I'm right that filter deals with 84-136 litres so it should be great for the 65 litre (already overfiltering to a degree) assuming light/medium stocking. What do you fancy keeping long term, other than the sucking loaches and WCMM?

Fish stock will dictate really what you need and as you know goldies and fantails needs loads of extra filtration.

If you still fancy more flow currently for the fish you have at the mo, you could upgrade perhaps 1 size bigger at the moment but it might be a good idea to add a spray bar to avoid any capillary leakage perhaps - smaller tanks do suffer from this where flow rate is too high and not good to come home to a wet floor LOL.

Best to decide on stocking first to avoid wasted money should you need to go bigger again. Any thoughts?
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: Best external filter for 160 litre tank? #38
the thing is i would prob evenutally in the next few months be looking at getting a roma 125 or 200 dependant upon my budget at the time or i could settle with getting the aquatropic at100 which is a 160 litere tank

if i do this then im prob going to get some danios and keep the WCMM but increase them by another 6

the tetra ex700 has a srpay bar so would that be ok still

ive had the pf3 filter on full power from day one and its coming to a year old and not had problems with any leakages