I can do if I get time but I'm at work. Basically its to divide the two up until sat, I don't want to keep changing stuff around in there. Once I remove the bully I'm gunna have a re-scape before introducing another fish...
It wasn't really the best layout for rams in retro.
hmm... We were planning to take the troublesome ram back tomorrow with a view to replaceing him with a female in a few weeks. There's so many changes to be made; bigger tank, fresh (immature) substrate, more filtration, more rock, plants and so on I think it's best we return the pair and re-think. I feel awful about this as we've taken them both into our care and now who knows where they might end up. In the grand scheme of things it seems like the sensible thing to do.
We could hang on to one of them but he'd have to wait out the new setup in QT as I need to slavage what we've got from the mature 60ltr to expand. When we finaly get him rehoused (yet another move) there's potential compatability issues again. Seems harsh to take them both back but I've just about convinced myself its for the best
Errrm . . . not necessarily Get the bigger tank, the new plants, rocks, wood, substrate, background etc, get that all set up first, and then move everything that you want to move from the 60ltr to the new tank.
TetraLinz wrote: Errrm . . . not necessarily Get the bigger tank, the new plants, rocks, wood, substrate, background etc, get that all set up first, and then move everything that you want to move from the 60ltr to the new tank.
It's certainly an option its the more the compatability issues down the line I'm worried about. How's the hunt for Mrs Ramses going?
As long as the tank's heavily planted, and there's lots of visual barriers, there shouldn't be a problem. I know what you mean though, because I'm a bit concerned myself about getting Mrs Ramses.
jonnyunlimited wrote It's certainly an option its the more the compatability issues down the line I'm worried about. How's the hunt for Mrs Ramses going?
Slower than I'd like, tbh, but I'll find her It's just a case of getting to the lfs rather than a general pet shop. I don't drive, and the specialists are all out of the way. I'm going for another tank soon (another project), so I'll see if they have any female Rams while I'm there.
mm, It's not a decision I'm taking lightly. I bought these two as a M/F pair as you know we rang the shop ahead of time to make sure they could identify a pair AND even questioned their sex to make absolutely SURE at the till and were assured they were definately opposite and and and...) but all the evidence suggests they are both male! Looks like one is going to terrorise the other forever so in the end so one has to go back unless I set up yet another tank for him. I know it might seem like an excuse but I think it's just best all round if they go back together (separate bags mind!). The rams are actually perfectly fine but I'm keeping them split for now in an atempt to keep stress levels at a minimum before tomorrows journey to the LFS. We've only had them 5 days and sooner the better I guess. I don't drive either so I know how difficult it can be to get to a good LFS (need them powers of persuasion ) It's a shame but I'll have more time to get up to speed and properly organised. Definatley still going to keep rams though so be warned!
I need some advice. I have a pair of blue rams that have been together with lots of spawning, for 3 months or so and yesterday my female is starting to die. I did a big water change that did not snap her out. added salt and black water extract, I test water almost daily cause I have discus. but can't seem to pull her through.. The male is staying my her side. It's making me very sad. Should I get him a new mate, or will he need to pick one out of some females on his own. or will he die too
Hi Sandi. Welcome to FK I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.
Could you post the actual results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
How big was the water change?
Sorry for all the questions, but the more information you could give us, the more we can help If the female is still alive, I'd try and save her You wouldn't like it if your partner was dying and someone just tried to replace them, would you? So I think it's worth trying to save her tbh.