Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 21:43
Re: Red fins and scales #31
Not to worry Cathie

You can use my smiles Im still trying to fathom out how this site works and havent used any yet.

Jenny
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 21:48
Re: Red fins and scales #32
That is what I was thinking too Howie but the water they are in now is totally toxic and there is no bacteria in the filter media. The tank they are in now is uncyled and poisonous...
Howard Howard
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 21:50
Re: Red fins and scales #33
Someones gonna have a busy couple of weeks then ...
Resized Image

Keep your friends close , but your anemones closer ....
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 21:54
Re: Red fins and scales #34
Yes but you go Jenny! She's found out the problems (13 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank, water never dechlorinated so never had a chance to cycle, fish poorly) and gone out overnight and bought all the kit and a tank twice the size to be going on with so I'm sure the hard work will go in and fish will be much happier.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 22:09
Re: Red fins and scales #35
Don't get me wrong, I think what Jenny is doing is wonderful and she should be crowned the newest Nut-Job-Fish-Saving-Warrior, a highly sought after title by the way Jenny , I just wanted to be sure we advised Jenny the very best plan we could under the circumstances, that is all.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 22:17
Re: Red fins and scales #36
I was just summarising for Howard!
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 22:38
Re: Red fins and scales #37
Here I go again.......

Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 23:02
Re: Red fins and scales #38
SMILES ALL ROUND GUY,S.

My fish have been introduced to there new home and from the way they are measuring the tank and exploring (nothing in there at the moment i was advised to just get the water right) all looks well, all have fins up and displaying, i suppose i will come down stairs in the morning with trepidation but something had to be done, it was breaking my heart to see them suffering.

I have tested to new tank water and all looks ok, i also tested the old fish water and was astounded that they wernt all dead, thank god i caught them in time.
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 31/3/2008 23:12
Re: Red fins and scales #39
Yup , so its to the business of cycling with fish to which attention needs to be turned, watch those ammonia and nitrite levels with your nice new test kit, and perform changes when the levels get too high, and hopefully you should see them through successfully in about 3 weeks, then its feet up, and cup of tea, and gloat at the nice happy fish in a nice space moment.

Personally id still transfer a little filter media from the old into the new, might get things kickstarted a bit, youll probably find it wasnt entirely dead, just kept at too low a level to be useful. Now using water conditioners you might find the little culture there is has a chance to grow, might cut a week off the cycle time, you never know.

As far as emergency fish transfers go, sounded like it went rather well. Hope a healthy dose of luck continues.

Perhaps a bit of tetra safestart might help out a bit over the next few days, dont expect great things of it, but it might help some. Since there probably already is a small culture available already I doubt bactinettes will help beyond that, but safestart does have a knack of protecting fish from some damage.

What water additives have you got so far? Sounds to me a bit like a shop assistant might have confused you slightly about the actual usage and effectiveness of them.
Resized Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 1/4/2008 9:04
Re: Red fins and scales #40
Maybe you could get a bumper pack of plastic plants for the time being then and just drop them in? (Cheap in P@H)
Will make the fish feel secure to have something to hide behind.